Thread: My First attempts with slow shutter speed

Default My First attempts with slow shutter speed

Hi all,

Any thoughts, tips etc on these? Taken on an 1100d with 18-55 with an Polarising filter. Am getting ND filters next week. I think these may be a bit over exposed.

Thanks for any feedback

http://imgur.com/pO1c3qV,TdxkfBU,12y8ddB,fJWtiIX#0
    (It should show 4 photos)

Nice subjects and exposue ok but need to make the time of exposure longer - the ND will help. You'd probably need ND8 or 12 to get a decent long exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Andrews View Post
    Nice subjects and exposue ok but need to make the time of exposure longer - the ND will help. You'd probably need ND8 or 12 to get a decent long exposure.
    Yes i will be buying a few different ND filters tomorrow. Thanks

Like #3. A straight horizon and removing the sensor dust spots can be done in PP. Copy and paste the BB code so we can see the pics here too:

Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

St Clair pylons? You could also try taking the shot near sunrise/set when the light is low while you wait for ND filters. I'd the say the bggest improvement would be to straighten the horizon, most photo editing programs should be able to fix that for you.
    Canon 1Dx | Canon 6D | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Canon 16-35 f4 L | ii Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Canon 400mm f5.6 L | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT|

Yes this is St clair. Horizon went bad as i rushed it because it started to rain (Buying a hotshoe level). Im going to figure out if it is sensor dust or just dirt on the filter. I have waited for sunrise / sunset but haven't had good luck with the weather. Also i saw your tunnel beach shots riley, i have wanted to shoot there for over a year but have never had a chance. Will try get there in the next week. Thanks for all the feedback though!

Hey looks like a great attempt for your first long exposure shoot! My suggestions...Because there is little detail in the sky (no clouds) I wouldnt have as much sky in the photo. Also if you had got the full reflection of the pylons in the photo it would have a much better composition! And of course the horizon level is very distracting! Keep it up once you get that ND! They are alot of fun to play around with!
    I am who I am, your approval is not needed!