Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moeraki

Default Moeraki

Some raw data from this morning, almost there but I haven't got the best from this place yet. It'll happen one day
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Love no.1 + no. 2

But I think the horizon is on the piss on no.1?

I did say raw As in I haven't done a thing to them.

1 was at 0430...

Nice shots...looks like high tide. I was there three weeks ago, it's a great place to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    I did say raw As in I haven't done a thing to them.

1 was at 0430...
    Well you've had plenty of time to sort them out then

Or are you still waiting for windoze 7 to start up?

Very quick look through once, whitefoot wanted to see some and now I won't look at them again for a few weeks at least. (If I remember at all)

I love the second one
    Great light.

I was there four days ago, but not at that ungodly hour of the morning.
    I managed to get some penguins.
    My stuff - Canon 450D (struggling with it) Panasonic FZ28 (love it) Pocket rockets - Kodak V550, Canon PS A580. PSP8, PS6.
    The question is not what you look at, but what you see ~ Marcel Proust

Why post unprocessed shots? I dont understand.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Did you get some idea from those as to what the morning was like Rob?

I don't look at photos for some time and it takes a lot longer before I'll do anything to them. How do you know what you like in a photo if all your looking at is processed? How do you get a feeling or understanding of the place if you bump all the slider's. The most important one being the understanding for me. I could go crazy in pp as soon as I got home, but how does that make me a better photographer without first living with a scene? Then I have a better idea on where to go with the pp.
    I don't even know what was the best photos from this shoot, these where just random ones that give an idea of what the light was like at various times.

wooo that was deeeeep
    God made two great lights; the sun to rule by day and the moon to rule by night. He also made the stars.
    And He set them all in the heavens to give light upon the earth; And God saw that it was good.

Ive seen the light and it is indeed very good

http://boneywhitefoot.wordpress.com/

I could have just said "Here's the negatives from this morning" I spose

@ wirehunt: couldn't agree with you more. Most of my stuff hangs around for months, unless I've taken them for someone else who wants them quickly. Then, out comes the software for tweaking and tuning.
    Nikon D80, Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, Nikon 35mm f/1.8G, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 older screw-type, Nikon 70-300VR f/4.5-5.6G. Various filters and grads, elderly Velbon tripod (finger biter).

F l i c k r

(I give up trying to get a nice, simple "Flickr" here. )

Allow me

Dah-lingk!! *mwah*

Fine, let it hang round for months , I dont see the problem with that.

For me out of camera raw is only part of the job, and I wont show something half done, even if processing is relativly simple and quick.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

I understand that Rob, for me though all we ever seem to see is the final product when it comes to photos. It doesn't scare me showing negatives.....

Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    I understand that Rob, for me though all we ever seem to see is the final product when it comes to photos. It doesn't scare me showing negatives.....
    You could always add these to the "Before and After Editing" thread after you get round to processing them too.

Flickr

Thanks for posting them.
    They inspired me to get up at 04:00 this morning and head up to Moeraki, about an hour away (perhaps a wee bit longer officer).
    Tide was just about at the top, so I only got a few shots (have you any idea how scary having all your gear out with waves breaking over yer knees)

Anyway, thanks again, my shots are nowhere as good as yours, but it has given me something to work on.
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

My Website
    My Blog

Full about 7 this morning?

I had the pair of depth/temperature gauges in the water

I left at about 7 ish and I reckon it was just about on the turn.

I was up to my knees and don't mind admitting that I was sh1tting meeself if a big wave came in and I lost all my gear.

I have to say though, it is the 1st time I have had a paddle at dawn and it was kinda cool. I must be going native
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

My Website
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    I must be going native
    You'll know when it's happened, it will count as your bath for the month.

here are a couple of mine (some minor fiddling and a crop on the 1st one)

Bumped into a real nice guy (fellow photoG), Ian ( didn't catch his second name), he has a gallery up in Roxburgh, although he is opening up a shop in Palmerston.
    Had a good wee chinwag and he made me a cuppa in his new gallery.
    So if it was anyone on the forum, cheers for the tea and crackers and hope to catch up with you next week in Roxburgh.

My Website
    My Blog

Great shots guys.

Here's a couple from 3 weeks ago.

Great shots Mike. I like how you get the foreground exposed properly rather than having the rocks as silhouettes. Do you use GND filters?

Here's one I took last year. I found it really hard to isolate a group of boulders for a decent composition - I think this place is much more tide-dependent than regular beaches as it determines which boulders you can shoot. So not a great composition, but we got a great sunrise!

Flickr

Great shot Chris. Very tide-dependent. I think the best combination would be sunrise and midway between high and low tide.

For these shots I used a Lee 3 stop GND filter.

Spot on Mike, bastard rocks. The reason to get the tide about then is so you can get at the front of the rocks with some light on them, if the tides to far in all you can get is that bloody outline. When it's right out there is just to much junk around the place. That is unless you've got a wetsuit, and even then the rocks would be hiding under the waves

a few

God made two great lights; the sun to rule by day and the moon to rule by night. He also made the stars.
    And He set them all in the heavens to give light upon the earth; And God saw that it was good.

Ive seen the light and it is indeed very good

http://boneywhitefoot.wordpress.com/