Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Infrared

Default Infrared

So I bought an infrared filter, having seen some cool IR photos and thinking it would be a nice toy to have in the bag. And only now do I start reading about how to actually take IR photos

One thing that worries me is the problems with focusing that I've read about. Apparently due to the change in light that's hitting the sensor, you have to use a different focus distance when using the filter and so autofocus is a problem (even if you focus before putting the filter on). Is this right, or am I not understanding it correctly (which is entirely possible since I'm baffled by all the gobbledygook about wavelengths and stuff). I took some test shots and focus didn't seem to be a problem.

The other thing I noticed in my test shots in is some strange haze in the middle of the shots (see attached). I vaguely remember reading something about this happening on some lenses because of the way they're not designed for IR. Again is this correct or am I on the wrong track?

And finally, post processing. When I followed some tutorials on processing an IR shot by swapping the red and blue channels, my test shots came out looking hideous (basically the same as the original shot but with a strong blue tone!). Is that due to the subject and/or light in my test shots not being suitable for IR?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Flickr

I bought an IR Filter and had the same issues. I found a list somewhere which listed a whole heap of lenses that get hot spots...the haze you have found.

I gave it away because the only two lenses I have get those hot spots in IR

Crap, this is the only lens I have at that filter size too. Guess I should've read more before buying.

Flickr

Trade Me.
    Mine was so dark that I had to do around an 8 minute exposure for each shot...Mind you it only cost me $18usd from dealextreme

weka2000 Guest

Duncan's your man for all things IR including how toconvert your camera

duncan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by weka2000 View Post
    Duncan's your man for all things IR including how toconvert your camera
    he'll be along shortly...

duncan Guest

>One thing that worries me is the problems with focusing that I've read about. Apparently due to the change in light that's hitting the sensor, you have to use a different focus distance when using the filter and so autofocus is a problem (even if you focus before putting the filter on). Is this right, or am I not understanding it correctly (which is entirely possible since I'm baffled by all the gobbledygook about wavelengths and stuff). I took some test shots and focus didn't seem to be a problem.

- Ignore stuff about focus shift, just use f/8 and it'll be fine

>The other thing I noticed in my test shots in is some strange haze in the middle of the shots (see attached). I vaguely remember reading something about this happening on some lenses because of the way they're not designed for IR. Again is this correct or am I on the wrong track?

- most of my lenses are supposed to be really cr@p for IR, I find if you're shooting towards the sun the hotspot is more pronounced, and shooting away from sun it's much better.. so I generally just shoot away from the sun.

>And finally, post processing. When I followed some tutorials on processing an IR shot by swapping the red and blue channels, my test shots came out looking hideous (basically the same as the original shot but with a strong blue tone!). Is that due to the subject and/or light in my test shots not being suitable for IR?

- Before you start shooting, take a test shot of nice green grass in sunshine, use this as your custom whitebalance reference in your camera, and your IR shots will be much more controllable from the start.
    In real terms you have two types of postprocessing, either Black&white or "faux" colour where you swap red & blue channel (I generally have to wind back the blue channel below zero to get something resembling decent)
    Once you've got a decent whitebalance, the processing works...

Next question?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    - Before you start shooting, take a test shot of nice green grass in sunshine, use this as your custom whitebalance reference in your camera, and your IR shots will be much more controllable from the start.
    In real terms you have two types of postprocessing, either Black&white or "faux" colour where you swap red & blue channel (I generally have to wind back the blue channel below zero to get something resembling decent)
    Once you've got a decent whitebalance, the processing works...
    Presumably since I took the test shot in RAW, I should be able to get the same white balance using the eye dropper and choosing one of the leaves? I tried that but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I would've expected the red to change to grey but it's just a different shade of red...

Thanks for the other tips btw.

Flickr

duncan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgin View Post
    Presumably since I took the test shot in RAW, I should be able to get the same white balance using the eye dropper and choosing one of the leaves?
    technically you should be able to do it that way, but I've not ever been able to get it to look "right" doing it like that and I always use raw. Another weird thing is that different PP apps handle the custom whitebalance differently - potatoshop opens a file completely differently to Canon's Digital Photo Professional for example. I use DPP only when I'm doing a purely B&W shot as it seems to need much less tweaking for that.

cheers.

Nothing like rejuvenating an old thread i feel compelled to post these photos . I was really annoyed with myself because when we took a sojourn on the Whitianga beach today here were the impromptu Cook Island dancers doing a casual .I love dance and i love photography and what did i have in my bag ,amongst the lippy and kitchen sink..only the infra point and shoot. The zoom pixelates to oblivion but it's all i had so ..
    I was pretty peeved and when i viewed them immediately was all crap blah but then when i looked some more they started to remind me of vintage postcards and began to like the toning grainy pixelating stuff..you don't have to though 1 post card
    Name:  Resized beach.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  355.3 KB
    2 have a chat Name:  huddle resize.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  949.2 KB
    3 and my favouriteName:  Shadow resize.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  512.0 KB
    4 on the road to ?Name:  on the road copy.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  261.6 KB

Ooo, I really like those, lomo infra red, nice, very dreamy, the beach one especially!

Haven't annoyed anyone with this thread for a bit and just when you thought i'd forgotten about it ..uhuh no way Shot this one on the way home from work this arvo . Please note the little imposter tilt shift looking lawn mowing man in the background .
    Name:  infrared  7 Nov 2012 002 resize 1000 copy.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  786.6 KB

Nothing annoying about IR, always interesting.

Overlooking Sea Bird Coast and the Waikato

I converted an sony F828 to infra red, well just fitted IR filter and kept the polarising filter on to reduce the light. Had some good results but found software can give a good rendition, not the same but sort of takes away the challenge. This one was taken in Rotorua, but could have been anywhere in NZ.Name:  fern in rotarua.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  214.4 KB
    Last edited by lifestyler; 12-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post
    Wow, that's quite ethereal!
    Thank you for the comment, as you have probably guessed, I am a newbie to the site. Nice to get a response.

Only just saw this post lifestyler , welcome here . Love your infra shot , beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by lifestyler View Post
    I converted an sony F828 to infra red,
    good work - love the black skies at the top, what does it look like in colour?

This is one i took a week or so ago lifestyler . I know there is software to do this but i prefer the camera

Name:  infra park resize.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  785.5 KB

Meh: I have the originals still on the camera. I eventually found the charger, so I will post the fern again untouched. I also have a Sony V1 that can shoot in IR, but attaching filters is difficult, so really is for shooting in the dark. Somewhere in my boxes of old electronics, I have a Sony infra-red camera attachment.
    Name:  Ann in Infrared.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  77.1 KB

Found this image, taken in 2004 with my V1, original colours, just reduced the size
    Last edited by lifestyler; 13-12-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Lia: Yes great photo, and in-camera IR is the way. You have renewed my interest so I'll get the gear out again. Thanks
    Last edited by lifestyler; 13-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Good idea lifestyler , there is something about infra i like ..one of the reasons is the look of how a sunny hot glarey day can almost get that it's a frost look. My set up is basic..a friend converted a lumix DMC-LZ2 for me , so noise and greenish unfoccused looking corners happens mostly . I still like it though and have had some boomer shots from it. This is one i shot today ..
    Cottage
    Name:  infrared  today resize.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  679.7 KB

Lia: Yes a good shot of the cottage, follage seems to make the difference, a great day for Infra red. I meant to go out today and take some shots, but feeding alpacas and spraying gorse got in the way

Must be time for another wee infra revival
    Water sprinkler on plants
    Name:  P1040019 infra copy resize.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  781.5 KB