Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: My three blogs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default My three blogs

    A while back I decided to document my findings on Nikon TTL/BL which got me blogging . I fumbled around with different blogs for a while and only recently learned how to get them all in one and catalog them properly .
    I've narrowed them down to three main blogs that are interlinked .

    1.) The original one on TTL/BL should actually be useful to canon users as well now since I've discovered that Canon's E-TTL works very much the same as TTL/BL mode .
    2.) Then I started the one mentioned before on Photography tutorials [still waiting for input from this forum ]
    3.) And finally I decided to start a whole fresh blog for my photovan and ended up digging out all my old pictures from back in the days of my 4 meg panasonic DMC-LC5 and now I have a list of my adventures up there - still building on it though ...
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Then in another six months you'll move them to Wordpress

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    Then in another six months you'll move them to Wordpress
    Why , what's that ??
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    It's got a lot more you can do with it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    It's got a lot more you can do with it.
    I must admit that I only recently started serious blogging - the question is what else do I need to have since I can do everything I want to do now ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    rss and email widgets, headers, counters, sticky posts, pages, contact hows your mother, blogroll (good for seo I believe) THEMES, I'll attached a shot of some of the different widgets.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    What I've rolled off is a tiny amount, and I'm no expert by any stretch, in fact as green as. But I have noted in a LOT of place people say start with blogger but you'll end up at wordpress if you get into it. From there it self hosting for WP

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    What I've rolled off is a tiny amount, and I'm no expert by any stretch, in fact as green as. But I have noted in a LOT of place people say start with blogger but you'll end up at wordpress if you get into it. From there it self hosting for WP
    I think blogger are trying to close the gap . They are offering all sorts of additional features lately . I won't profess to know what all those things are but at the moment it's doing everything I need .
    Last edited by Desmond; 18-02-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    A genuine question here : What should I add to my blog and why ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    This of course is purely personal but.......the way I visit a blog is follow the links etc, if I like what I'm seeing then I'll click the RSS feed and add it to that, I may also save to favourites but that doesn't happen so much.

    I go through my blog list once in a while, but 99% of the time if the title and first bit interest me then I'll follow the link to the blog itself from my RSS feed. Some people prefer to be emailed about posts/updates.

    Being that Blogger is google then you should definitely have a 'buzz this' button.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    This of course is purely personal but.......the way I visit a blog is follow the links etc, if I like what I'm seeing then I'll click the RSS feed and add it to that, I may also save to favourites but that doesn't happen so much.

    I go through my blog list once in a while, but 99% of the time if the title and first bit interest me then I'll follow the link to the blog itself from my RSS feed. Some people prefer to be emailed about posts/updates.

    Being that Blogger is google then you should definitely have a 'buzz this' button.
    So what's an RSS feed ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    ok thanks - I've modified my blogs - have a look at the 'feeds' link near the top right hand side !
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    That'S the story, do they have one for email subscription as well? Some people prefer that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Do they have a links or blogroll type thing as well?

    Tag words and categories works good to if you do them right.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    Do they have a links or blogroll type thing as well?

    Tag words and categories works good to if you do them right.
    I used the 'links' gadget to set up a list of my posts on that blog . There are hundreds of things that can be added .
    The 'email' notification subscription is right at the bottom of the blog by default .
    I just added a new post " photographers wall of shame" to list the mistakes I see in photography books !
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    A good wee read there Desmond.

    How about putting some room between your paragraphs. Especially the one under the hot shoe dairies, it's one big solid block of text.

    Also, why don't you do a blogroll between all the different photography blogs you have. You've got three photo related blogs, yet they don't go near each other.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    A good wee read there Desmond.

    How about putting some room between your paragraphs. Especially the one under the hot shoe dairies, it's one big solid block of text.

    Also, why don't you do a blogroll between all the different photography blogs you have. You've got three photo related blogs, yet they don't go near each other.
    ok , I put some spaces between the text now .
    A "blogroll" ? , I have added a link to each of the other sites on the blogs themselves .
    The one on Nikon flash I want to keep separate to a degree and just add general information from it to the photography site .
    My photovan site has a link to the photography site .
    I just added my 'round the mountain ' walk to my photovan site - I've been going though all my old adventures on my hard drive .
    I have the option of adding a 'blog archive' which is a list of other blogs by my understanding and at the moment I am using the 'link list' to categorize my posts .... I have much to learn I suppose .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Best part of Earth
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    The archive is good as it keeps thing's tidy, it's where your older posts drop into once either there is more on your page than what you nominated or the posts are over a month old. I believe you can pick which.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    The archive is good as it keeps thing's tidy, it's where your older posts drop into once either there is more on your page than what you nominated or the posts are over a month old. I believe you can pick which.
    At the moment I'm probably not using is so much as a blog than as a free website .
    Any 'blogs' I do are basically articles that will have links to them posted on the side .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •