Thread: Photographer's Mail demise

Default Photographer's Mail demise

Hi,
    Very sad to see the end of this excellent paper. Good though to hear it will still have online additions. Not surprising that two publications can't be sustained. I will exchange my paid sub for the D-Photo though I don't think it is a good swap. D-Photo could do with, imho less gloss and more content.

The recent 'once over' of the excellent Pentax K-x by Harley Ogier had me wondering if he had actually handled the camera. His strange slanted view did the magazine no favours.

cheers
    Pete
    Pentax K-5
    Several len...all shake reduced

Ditto to all that.
    After subscribing for 3 years I have just finished with D-Photo. It's a mixed up mag. It's obviously aimed at the more beginner end, and this was confirmed to me by the editor, but then go and do reviews of a single top spec camera, which even the more advanced can't really afford! The camera ratings are inconsistent. They still do not know the difference between a meter and a metre (very important in photography!). The articles are very skewed to Nikon and Canon, too bad if you're learning with an Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Samsung, etc.

And there was other stuff I was annoyed with which I can't remember right now.

weka2000 Guest

Yes photography mags are just fuff with a pile of ads. There is a great Ausy 1 that comes out every quater "Better Photography" its got some real meat in it.

Some good 'feedback' in here. I wonder if anyone from D-Photo visits our forum?
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

At times I am really disappointed by d-photo...
    But I am not sure this forum is the place for this.
    After all it's their forum.
    Jocelen.
    website - blog - facebook
    mandatory list of gears.
    clever quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jocelen View Post

Surely this is the best place to raise the issue.
    I had considered a letter to D Photo after the 'review' that bothered me.
    How else can they receive feedback.

Pete
    Pentax K-5

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    .....The articles are very skewed to Nikon and Canon, too bad if you're learning with an Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Samsung, etc.
    I agree

Pete
    Pentax K-5

weka2000 Guest

Way to PC for me.

If they want to make $$ out of me then cut the crap and put some desnt content in.
    All this "beginners" stuff gets up my nose.

If you want to fly with eagles dont grovel wiith tukreys

Far as im concerned its Jack's and Adam's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by weka2000 View Post
    Far as im concerned its Jack's and Adam's forum.
    No, it's also D-photo's

I know that Tim (The Editor) and Darren (The.... what do you do again Darren? ) read the forums and I'm sure any constructive (note: constructive ) comments will be read and wherever possible taken on board, just like sending them a letter. I'm not sure about how magazines are run etc but I'm sure they have to try and cater for the wider audience, so all levels need to be catered for. How do you strike this happy medium?

I only buy p0rn mags, so can't contribute to this discussion.

Give em a wipe and send them down when your finished Fin. P0rn and sheep, what more could you want.

weka2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by North of Auckland View Post
    No, it's also D-photo's
    Silent members?

Never see any photos posted, or part of discussions. You and Adam are very visable.

Never see any photos posted, or part of discussions. You and Adam are very visable.
    D-Photo is Tim and Admin is Darren and they do post, not as often as some of us, but then we are gobby

weka2000 Guest

D-Photo is Tim and Admin is Darren and they do post, not as often as some of us, but then we are gobby
    Personally I like to know who im dealing with. We know nothing of these 2. Their intrests, experence, knowledge base, I want to learn to get inspired again.

Why dont we ask them a few questions and you interview

Personally I like to know who im dealing with. We know nothing of these 2. Their intrests, experence, knowledge base, I want to learn to get inspired again.
    Nosy bugger!

I'll point them this way and I'm sure they'll fill you in

weka2000 Guest

Nosy bugger!

My mother taught me not to talk to strangers

I'm here. I have posted quite a bit, but recently have been preoccupied with getting the new sites up. I just spoke to Tim - he's on his way back from the airport. He'll have a look at the thread when he's back in the office.
    Darren

Nosy bugger!

I bet it's not the first time he's been filled in

I have emailed them at least twice, and written a "letter to the editor" (which in the following mag was backed up by another writer) that was published. I have noted no change.

weka2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I'm here. I have posted quite a bit, but recently have been preoccupied with getting the new sites up. I just spoke to Tim - he's on his way back from the airport. He'll have a look at the thread when he's back in the office.
    Darren
    I am speaking for myself here. I want to get to know you guys. So tell us a bit about yourselves, what sort of photography you are inolved with etc.
    You might have a lot to offer us, we are all here to learn. However those of us who have been around a bit need to be feed as well and meat something to sink our teeth into.

@wirehunt .......... ive never been filled in

FWIW, I once wrote to the D-Photo editor Steve Hart regarding D-Photo Issue 26's "Shoot for Gold" article.

That article was written by Fraser Kitt and was shockingly misinforming about the Pentax K200D (in particular in relation to the Nikon D60). I was appalled by the bad job the "reviewer" did.

I was very impressed by Steve Hart's attitude and helpfulness. I actually got a response from Fraser Kitt. Unfortunately, he didn't get why he was off the mark even after having the major shortcomings of the review pointed out to him.

Two thumbs up for Steve Hart and but apparently the recent K-x review (I haven't read it) shows that not much has changed. One simply should not be surprised to read sloppy reviews these days. To D-Photo's credit, they are by far not the only magazine where a couple of hours of personal research beat any "review".