Thread: Transfering Raw Files

Default Transfering Raw Files

I've started shooting in Raw format and I've got a little hick up. If I transfer files on my laptop, JPEG files come up as thumbnails and RAW files don't. Which is bloody annoying. If I transfer on my work PC, all shots come up as thumbnails.

Have I forgoten to tick all the boxes ? I couldn't find a setting under settings. Would I have to reload Nikon Transfer on my laptop again ??

BTW: Can a Mod fix this please ?
    Help! I'm new to photography. (2 Viewing)
    New to photography and new those questions answered?

It Should be:
    New to photography and need those questions answered?
    Last edited by *Glenn*; 16-04-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Nikon D5000, Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S, Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S, Nikkor 85mm AF-S f3.5 ED Micro,Tokina AT-X 124 PRO DX II AF 12-24mm f4, Ball head Tripod, Various Rodenstock filters, 13mm,21m,31mm AF tube set

Quote Originally Posted by *Glenn* View Post
    BTW: Can a Mod fix this please ?
    New to photography and new those questions answered?

It Should be:
    New to photography and need those questions answered?
    Hopefully. Bugs the hell out of me every time I see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Hopefully. Bugs the hell out of me every time I see it!
    Do you not talk to your husband? (he can fix it)

Sorted, I'd never noticed it

Glenn, I suspect Nikon RAW is like Canon RAW and needs a plugin so that Windows can display it as it's not a native file format.

Quote Originally Posted by North of Auckland View Post
    Do you not talk to your husband? (he can fix it)

Sorted, I'd never noticed it
    Didn't realise he had soooo much power!! Besides, I thought it was one of those things that couldn't be changed, as I was sure someone must have mentioned it before now. Do struggle to get a word in most of the time, especially when his 'mini-me' is around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Didn't realise he had soooo much power!! Besides, I thought it was one of those things that couldn't be changed, as I was sure someone must have mentioned it before now. Do struggle to get a word in most of the time, especially when his 'mini-me' is around too.
    You could always PM him!

Here is the link for downloading codec required for windows to display thumbnail image.
    http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Unfortunately, it need little trick on 64bit machine. Goggle is your friend here for running explorer in 32bit mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Here is the link for downloading codec required for windows to display thumbnail image.
    http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Unfortunately, it need little trick on 64bit machine. Goggle is your friend here for running explorer in 32bit mode.
    Yes...my laptop is 64 bit. Do you know what the "trick" is Ben ??
    Last edited by *Glenn*; 16-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Nikon D5000, Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S, Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S, Nikkor 85mm AF-S f3.5 ED Micro,Tokina AT-X 124 PRO DX II AF 12-24mm f4, Ball head Tripod, Various Rodenstock filters, 13mm,21m,31mm AF tube set

For Canon RAW images I have this installed - but it does not work
    Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

"Supported camera models and RAW image types: Most current models of Canon and Nikon cameras are supported"

I have just reinstalled it (Later version) and still no luck.

I agree Glenn , it is bloody annoying !
    My stuff - Canon 450D (struggling with it) Panasonic FZ28 (love it) Pocket rockets - Kodak V550, Canon PS A580. PSP8, PS6.
    The question is not what you look at, but what you see ~ Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by LynEve View Post

"Supported camera models and RAW image types: Most current models of Canon and Nikon cameras are supported"

I have just reinstalled it (Later version) and still no luck.

I agree Glenn , it is bloody annoying !
    I'm fairly sure I didn't tick all the file type boxes when I put it on the laptop, because at that stage I didn't know what raw was. I spoke to my IT guy and he said to reinstall over the file. It works properly here at work, so I'll give it ago. My laptop will do both 34 & 64 bit so I'm sure its me and nothing else.. will update when I've tried it as I've got the latest version as well.

Will be interested to know how you get on

I have tried installing over the top and then uninstalling and reinstal but it is still the same. I did tick the boxes too.

I think maybe my 450D must be one of the unsupported models
    I downloaded the White Paper doc and seems to be the case - it mentions
    the 300D and Rebel XT

Hope you have better luck with your .nef files
    My stuff - Canon 450D (struggling with it) Panasonic FZ28 (love it) Pocket rockets - Kodak V550, Canon PS A580. PSP8, PS6.

Basically create shotcut to run this
    %systemroot%\SysWow64\Explorer.exe

See here for detail:
    http://extended64.com/blogs/bhpaddoc...05/22/539.aspx
    You can find lot's of article for this. This is workaround until Nikon offering 64bit codec.
    I found once the thumbnail db is generated, it can show in 64bit shell in some case.

duncan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LynEve View Post
    I gave up trying to get the MS thumbnailer to work and after trying various bits of software got a freeware codec pack called "fastpictureviewer"

works really well (even better/faster than the Adfry codec that I bought at one stage) looking at thir website, they've gone to a paid version since, but really $6 US isn't going to break the bank.
    see: http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

pm me if you want to try their earlier freeware version as I've still got a copy of the install file.

Glen, I also have this problem and the way I get around it is to turn off the downloader when I plug in the card. I then go to "My Computer" and find the drive that is showing the card - in my case, it's called E-Nikon D80, and open up the suceeding folders in that drive until I can see all the images. Then a quick "Select all" under the edit button, and copy to a folder of my choice on the hard-drive. Picks up both the jpegs and the RAWs. No twiddling, no dodgy codex.
    Nikon D80, Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, Nikon 35mm f/1.8G, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 older screw-type, Nikon 70-300VR f/4.5-5.6G. Various filters and grads, elderly Velbon tripod (finger biter).

F l i c k r

(I give up trying to get a nice, simple "Flickr" here. )

Allow me

Dah-lingk!! *mwah*

Thanks Duncan - that looks a good one.I downloaded a codec pack from here http://www.free-codecs.com/Canon_RAW_Codec_download.htm over 60mb and it was of no use.
    I remembered I have a freeby prog called FastStone Image viewer and it displays them fine, as does the Canon EOS ultility. I would just like to be able to see the thumbnail view in a normal folder.

Sorry Glenn - I will butt out now

Thank god.... got it all going.... uninstall...reinstall with new Nikon codec upgrade. It asked for this during the install. Use Nikon View NX...wow... I now have Raw & Jpeg thumbnails, all on the same page. Set default to open files with Capture NX2 all working now. This info wont help other camera users though.

Edit: Just wondering whether a Canon user could load the Nikon software and use the Nikon ViewNX as the destination folder for their images too ? Quite happy to lend the CD to someone if they want to try it.
    Last edited by *Glenn*; 17-04-2010 at 06:21 AM.

I just downloaded nama5 and can now see Canon Raw, DNG and Olympus ORF thumbnails in (WinXP) Explorer. It's free and only 491kb download. No 64bit support though.