Thread: Two more portrait attempts

Default Two more portrait attempts

After getting such valuable advice and tips last time, I thought I'd be greedy and post a couple more for your advice. Same assignment - this time a portrait of a male (my husband) using artificial lighting, and a portrait of a female using natural lighting. For the artificial one I wanted to try and do something a bit different, and catch the Adam I see every night. Again, I want to learn, so be brutally honest.

For the night time shot: Canon EOS 1000D, 50mm lens, F2.8, ISO 200, 1/6 sec. No flash, some incandescent light to separate the t-shirt from the couch.
    For the day portrait: Canon EOS 1000D, 50mm lens, F2.8, ISO 100, 1/640sec. 4 pre-schoolers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The first looks to me like the white balance needs adjusted. The composition doesn't do much for me either, but that is more personal than technical of course. Did you do may variations on this?

The second looks good, nice use of the light and well exposed and well framed. But I would have tried to position her so the railway irons weren't cutting her head in sections.

The yellow glow was deliberate - was trying to achieve a TV style glow on his face. I chose yellow on the top of his screen and orange at the bottom to throw different colours on his face and arms. I tried similar poses with different colours - but blue made the shot look out of focus, pink was too feminine for his taste, and green just looked sickly and evil. I was trying to do something a bit different (obviously not a beauty style portrait), but maybe it just didn't work so well? JK.

To my eye the yellow looks green.

Quote Originally Posted by Always JK View Post
    The yellow glow was deliberate - was trying to achieve a TV style glow on his face. I chose yellow on the top of his screen and orange at the bottom to throw different colours on his face and arms...
    Hi JK, I think I understand where you are going with this. How about turning off all the ambient light and leaving just the laptop on. This way, you will really highlight those colours you wanted. You would need a longer exposure though and hubby needs to keep really still.
    Also really like the composition and DOF of the second one but agree with wirehunt about the train tracks. This is a personal taste but I would have preferred not to have the uneven shadows on the face- a reflector may have been useful.
    Lighten up!
    I shoot with Canon EOS 500 & 6D, EFS17-55 f2.8, EF35L f1.4, EF135L f2, Speedlites 580EX II & 430EX II.

Well looks like you are on a roll here, nice shots.

Now the nitty gritty stuff

#1 I like the idea and it works well.

To make the shot better it might have been worth while moving to the right a bit and getting more of the laptop in showing more of the apple. This would have also allowed us to see more of his face and maybe the monitor screen reflection in his eyes.

#2 Again nice shot . The lines have been mentioned and also the shadows caused by being out in the open. If you don't have the use of a reflector or something similar it's worth moving just under some shade to stop those harsh hot spots/shadows.

That's just nit picking but worth a play with next time you are out.

I like the comp of both shots, but I see green in both of them. I am guessing they weren't converted to sRGB first?

I agree re the shadows on the second photo. I would personally increase the contrast, and the exposure on her face (without blowing the lighter areas), and remove the colour cast on her neck, cheeks, and camera left of her head.
    Kim
    Canon EOS 5DMkII | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Some backup gear
    Calibrated |
    http://kimhowellsphotography.co.nz
    Facebook Page

weka2000 Guest

Is the woman a self portrait?

hahaha...no. She's one of the friendly neighbours I have :-) The funny thing about wearing the camera around your neck is that there aren't any photos of you!