Thread: Modelling courses

Default Modelling courses

When I have been on model shoots no one seems to have ever done any kind of training, is their such a thing as "Modelling School" or any courses people can go on to improve their craft?

A search of modelling schools on the online yellow pages brought up 32 listing nationwide, with 16 in Auckland. Most of them turned out to be Agencies but this one appears to have modelling courses attached to it. http://www.vanitywalk.co.nz/

The twins from NTM where shown on Campbell Live running classes down in Dunedin.
    Cheers

Paul

a copy from my facebook reply

*Cough* my opinion only, im not a model as you may have noticed.

but it seems a lot of the 'modelling agencies' seem to use this as yet another way to fleece money out of models that may never be suited to the line of work they think they a...re.

The agency tells the models about courses to help them get work and either take a cut or organise something with the people organising the courses.

I may be wrong, but it looks like some people never get a paid gig after paying for a few 2 or 3 day lessons etc..

This couch, what's the deal? Is it like all the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    This couch, what's the deal? Is it like all the rest?
    Nah, it's more for models, MUA and stylist to talk about things in their industry whereas the rest of the forum is more photography related. I put this thread in here as it's relevant to them

A lot of it comes down to confidence- with this comes the ability to carry "ones body" in a a manner that shows it off at its best- attitude is another- and a lot of their confidence and attitude will come accross in facial expressions-
    practice-they will get better the more they do it and get to know and trust you -
    and direction- the way in which you describe what you want- tell them what you envisage.......picture help- show them if you shoot tethered- or on LCD- .

it is really hard- there are a lot of blank stunned mullets that have stiff angled bodies out there !!!

once they see you are makin them look fantastic- they will swell with pride (as will you) and theyll come back again

A couple of Jacks models look like they really do enjoy what they do- that makes them fun to work with- and it comes ac-cross in the pictures

good thread- i will be following this one with interest-

still more room on the couch!!!
    Canon 5D MK II, Canon 7D, Canon 50D , Tamron 75-200mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4,Canon 24-70 2.8L,Tamron 17-50 2.8 Xr Di-II VC,Tamron 18-200,Canon Speedlite 580EXII,Yongnuo 565EX,Orbis ringflash,Seikonic L358,Elinchrom D-Lite 2 go kit,Pixel Pawn triggers, Photoshop,Lightroom.

It sounds very much like photography . Many people could do a course but if they don't 'have it' they still won't get good photos .
    During a discussion I had with someone where I said that someone I know needs to do a course on how to run a business , I got the reply
    that "The only people that seem to benefit from those courses are the ones that are already good at it " - and I think this applies here as
    well .
    You can teach someone to push the right buttons to play a tune but they may never play it with 'feeling' .
    You can also teach a person how to do a meter reading and get the right exposure but they may still take boring pictures .
    The same with a model , a girl might have the right looks but if she's not into the mood she will look boring .
    So I would say a modeling course would be the same , they can teach a newbie the basics or refine someone who has talent but
    a few lessons can't teach a newbie talent .

Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

So I would say a modeling course would be the same , they can teach a newbie the basics or refine someone who has talent but
    a few lessons can't teach a newbie talent .

yeppers! to that Desmond makes those who do extra xtra special!!!
    Canon 5D MK II, Canon 7D, Canon 50D , Tamron 75-200mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4,Canon 24-70 2.8L,Tamron 17-50 2.8 Xr Di-II VC,Tamron 18-200,Canon Speedlite 580EXII,Yongnuo 565EX,Orbis ringflash,Seikonic L358,Elinchrom D-Lite 2 go kit,Pixel Pawn triggers, Photoshop,Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by FTOWRX View Post
    yeppers! to that Desmond makes those who do extra xtra special!!!
    Like a talk a bodybuilder gave a while back - he said he wouldn't need to take steroids but everyone else does so to still beat them he has to also take them .
    Not that I'm suggesting models take steroids , just that a talented model , who wants to be the best , should also do some courses .
    While someone like me [ in the modeling world ] wouldn't even have a chance in a bodybuilding competition if I was the only one taking steroids [ which I would never do by the way ] .
    So classes don't make someone who has no talent good but they can make someone good exceptional .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

James said to me yesterday that modeling is really just static acting.

And he is completely right.

It requires confidence, body awareness and the ability to display an emotion and act out a mood or a scene.
    If you ever get to work with a really professorial model they will work through a series of poses in sequence, each one describing a different aspect of the shoots theme. They need very little direction, and can make quite dramatic changes to how a photo looks with only subtle changes in their body.

While these are things that can be learned, they are not something that can be taught in a 2 day course, and not everyone is capable of learning them.

The best advice I would give to any model who wanted to learn, would be to get practicing in front of a mirror and find a photographer your comfortable with and spend time posing in front of the camera. Don't be embrassed to try different things, as I said yesterday, often the most awkward feeling post looks the coolest in camera, but you have to try it to find out.