Thread: Nature and HDR

Default Nature and HDR

Well sort of nature, a bunch of hydrangea flowers on a box in the garage actually.
    I have been having a play setting up my 5DMkII to set itself for hdr by selecting the C settings. I made 3 different versions of bracketing and allocated them as C1 C2 C3. now I get a quick way to get 7 shot hdr. One set of bracketing is to underexpose by a much as possible, one set to get the middle and one set to overexpose by as much as poss.
    I used Oloneo Photo Engine to combine the images.

Here's a larger version
    http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9...ashdrlarge.jpg
    Last edited by Jos; 04-01-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Nice work. To me this looks like HDR done "right" - that is, it looks quite natural instead of being some weird neon-lights painting or looking a bit washed out.

While the sharpness of the basket (in #2) on the right is quite impressive, it seems to distract from the pots a bit (which I'm assuming were the original focus of this shot?).

Yes true, it's all asking for attention. The sharpness as well as the strong pattern draw the eye to it straight away. That's f22 and HDR I guess. The pots would stand out more with some blur.

What was the reason for using HDR? Was it not possible to capture these in a single exposure?

Flickr

Just quickly selected the baskets and gave them a bit of lens blur, seems much more better!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgin View Post
    What was the reason for using HDR? Was it not possible to capture these in a single exposure?
    Not in the same way, at least not without a fair bit of extra lighting, you get all the highlight details as well as all the shadows. And the ability to really choose where you want the emphasis to be.

Nicely and tastefully done.
    Would be interested to see the "normal" exposures to note how they compare to your HDR versions... that's only if you're keen to post it.
    Canon 5D III | Canon 1D III | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 24-105mm f/4 L | 50mm f/1.2 L | 70-200mm f/2.8 II L | Hasselblad H1 | Phase ONE P25 | HC 80mm f/2.8 | HC 150mm f/3.2 | HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5

I like them, and I wouldn't instantly think they were HDR because you unlike amost everyone else that uses them have kept a good level of contrast with blacks so that it looks quite real. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannachy View Post
    I like them, and I wouldn't instantly think they were HDR because you unlike amost everyone else that uses them have kept a good level of contrast with blacks so that it looks quite real. Good work.
    +1 , very nicely done HDR's .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

Nicely done processing , did you need that many shots to cover the dynamic range?
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

weka2000 Guest

nicely done, wouldnt have known unless you had said. Which is how hdr should be.

YAY Oloneo is great isnt it - wouldnt have known these were HDR if you hadnt said. Really like the hydrangeas
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

Here's the middle exposure of the Hydrangeas, not HDRed, I have already deleleted all the files for the shed one.
    I didn't really need all 7 exposures but I was experimenting with setting up the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    YAY Oloneo is great isnt it - wouldnt have known these were HDR if you hadnt said. Really like the hydrangeas
    It's a great program, and the demo just keeps on going, mine finished but they offered a new demo and I was most pleased.
    It works so fast, they were a set of 7 120MB 16bit tiffs and it rendered them in seconds.

here's a detail of the HDR of the dark area

You've not only done a magnificent job of the HDR, but as usual, the photo's themselves are crackers!!

I must say, even the one not given the treatment is not to shabby at all.

These are SO good !!
    Beautiful

I have been playing about with the Oloneo Beta version for a week or so - it is a bit beyond me but have just discovered the links to the tutorial videos in it.
    I think it is about to expire soon
    My stuff - Canon 450D (struggling with it) Panasonic FZ28 (love it) Pocket rockets - Kodak V550, Canon PS A580. PSP8, PS6.
    The question is not what you look at, but what you see ~ Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by bigROBOTbill View Post
    Here's the middle exposure of the Hydrangeas, not HDRed, I have already deleleted all the files for the shed one.
    I didn't really need all 7 exposures but I was experimenting with setting up the camera!

I like what you've done with the HDR version but to be honest, I prefer this one. I find that HDR images more often than not has this kind of metallic/grey sheen to it. I think the colours on this one are great and it just looks to be a stronger image to me. But nice work either way. The pots are great too, but you deleted the original files?! Madness!

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    The pots are great too, but you deleted the original files?! Madness!
    I just knew when I posted one of the original shots some-one would prefer it.

And I often delete stuff, they are just pics taken for a play, they have no real worth on their own. I like taking new ones, not dwelling on the old. That's why I don't bother putting copyright stuff all over my stuff, if some-one wants it, feel free. I'll take a better one another day.

They look great, very natural and as said not HDR 'cooked'. Well done
    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
    -- Albert Einstein

Pentax K-5 | DA 18-55mm WR | DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) | DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited | DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM | Sigma KAF 100-300 f4.5-6.7 UC