Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Netbook or tablet suggestions .

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default Netbook or tablet suggestions .

    I've been wanting to get something a little more portable than my laptop for checking emails and storing a few photos and videos - and perhaps the occasional ebook .
    I had a look at this 'el cheapo ' 7 " netbook which could stay permanently in the car and a tablet with built in gps which would be handy .
    It would mostly be used for the occasional stop near a free wi-fi area for communication - a web cam would also prove useful if I would be able to do MSN video chats .
    I haven't looked much into this before - does anyone have any advice for me on the subject , what to buy or what to avoid ?
    Would I want windows CE or android ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    745

    Default

    The little laptop/notebook things are very poorly made - the ones I've seen. Everything about them is flimsy. I don't know much about Android stuff, but a coworker does, and he raves about the Samsung Galaxy tablet. One here:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/L...-387490525.htm

    Knowing you, you'd be pretty good with computers? Android would have tons of free apps to play with.
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    The little laptop/notebook things are very poorly made - the ones I've seen. Everything about them is flimsy. I don't know much about Android stuff, but a coworker does, and he raves about the Samsung Galaxy tablet. One here:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/L...-387490525.htm

    Knowing you, you'd be pretty good with computers? Android would have tons of free apps to play with.
    I actually only play as much as I need to with computers It looks like I am going to have to spend some reasonable money for something decent - which goes without saying I suppose
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    I would not discount the netbooks like this:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/L...-386550844.htm

    My partner has one and it is very robust and reliable, built in webcam, wifi etc... Perfect for emailing, web browsing, skype, storing pics.. Would not use it for any processor intensive software though.
    Nikon D600 and a bag full of prime goodness..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JED View Post
    I would not discount the netbooks like this:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/L...-386550844.htm

    My partner has one and it is very robust and reliable, built in webcam, wifi etc... Perfect for emailing, web browsing, skype, storing pics.. Would not use it for any processor intensive software though.
    To a certain degree I may as well carry my macbook with me if I get something that size - I need it to be more portable I think .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,649

    Default

    I have an iPad and it's great. Touch screen and the screen size is perfect for what you describe. Any of the competitors will perform well enough I expect.
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    If you want super portable, wifi, webcam, GPS, then you might want to consider smart phones...
    Nikon D600 and a bag full of prime goodness..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JED View Post
    If you want super portable, wifi, webcam, GPS, then you might want to consider smart phones...
    Ok , I will never use it as a phone though - I don't use my cellphone ever .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Birkenhead, Auckland
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Desmond, have a look at the ipad. I have one and you can get some good apps and I use the Map a lot in KL. I found it really easy to read ebooks from. You can download the images to I put images onto Picasa (through the Laptop) when I open the program on Ipad it automatically updates the images.
    There are some Facebook apps etc.

    They are very popular here, down side is it's apple which means you can't synchronize it to two computers (ie. a laptop and a imac)
    “If you find yourself saying I’ll fix it in Photoshop, stop and slap yourself in the face, because you’re being lazy”


    ---------------
    http://www.ctphotography.co.nz
    Camera's include Nikon D7000 plus a 1897 Lancaster Instantograph which still works and a Leica miniature (Minox) digital camera.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Photocol View Post
    Desmond, have a look at the ipad. I have one and you can get some good apps and I use the Map a lot in KL. I found it really easy to read ebooks from. You can download the images to I put images onto Picasa (through the Laptop) when I open the program on Ipad it automatically updates the images.
    There are some Facebook apps etc.

    They are very popular here, down side is it's apple which means you can't synchronize it to two computers (ie. a laptop and a imac)
    It's a bit bigger than 7" isn't it ? I could just carry my macbook then .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dubai/Waikato
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    It's a bit bigger than 7" isn't it ? I could just carry my macbook then .
    Ipod touch worth a look too if you only want wi-fi access for email/internet etc. Took mine on vacation and was great for staying in touch, as all the hotels I stayed at had free wi-fi. The small camera was handy too to take quick snap, and email straight off. I used the DLSR too, but it was great for just taking a photo and emailing it straight off without worrying about resizing etc.

    Even used Skype on it a few times, as it has a forward facing camera too.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    Ipod touch worth a look too if you only want wi-fi access for email/internet etc. Took mine on vacation and was great for staying in touch, as all the hotels I stayed at had free wi-fi. The small camera was handy too to take quick snap, and email straight off. I used the DLSR too, but it was great for just taking a photo and emailing it straight off without worrying about resizing etc.

    Even used Skype on it a few times, as it has a forward facing camera too.
    Not a bad idea - I like the look of the 'facetime' chatting - I wonder if it could be used for MSN and Skype video calls ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dubai/Waikato
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Not a bad idea - I like the look of the 'facetime' chatting - I wonder if it could be used for MSN and Skype video calls ?
    Skype works great, you can rotate it to landscape orientation too to get the make the most of the screen. Comes with built-in micro-phone and speaker too, although headphones are necessary if there's background noise like outside etc.

    Does a pretty good job with taking normal video's too. Simple email ones anyway. You can even 'crop'/shorten them before you send them.

    I did see some people using their ipad's for taking photo's at some of the tourist places we were at, but abit unwieldly though.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    Skype works great, you can rotate it to landscape orientation too to get the make the most of the screen. Comes with built-in micro-phone and speaker too, although headphones are necessary if there's background noise like outside etc.

    Does a pretty good job with taking normal video's too. Simple email ones anyway. You can even 'crop'/shorten them before you send them.

    I did see some people using their ipad's for taking photo's at some of the tourist places we were at, but abit unwieldly though.
    That may be my answer then .[ never noticed the bit in your first message about it doing skype till now ] Video chats is something I have been doing quite a bit lately and it would be handy when in places with wi-fi to be able to show people what is around me [ a lady in Canada actually ] .
    Can it take extra memory cards ? I would like to store some pictures and maybe videos to show people as well as check emails occasionally .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    I see some 'second generation' ipods on TM , is that the latest ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dubai/Waikato
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    That may be my answer then .[ never noticed the bit in your first message about it doing skype till now ] Video chats is something I have been doing quite a bit lately and it would be handy when in places with wi-fi to be able to show people what is around me [ a lady in Canada actually ] .
    Can it take extra memory cards ? I would like to store some pictures and maybe videos to show people as well as check emails occasionally .
    Nah, no memory cards. It comes with plenty of memory though (8, 32 & 64 gb models). You can upload photo's and video's to it, but you need to do it via a PC though.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    Nah, no memory cards. It comes with plenty of memory though (8, 32 & 64 gb models). You can upload photo's and video's to it, but you need to do it via a PC though.
    I don't mind doing it via pc - I suppose I'll have to be careful what size I get if I do get one - but I suppose photos would only have to be low res anyway and will be small files .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dubai/Waikato
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    I see some 'second generation' ipods on TM , is that the latest ?
    The 4G is the latest (others don't have cam etc.):

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-387629846.htm
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    The 4G is the latest (others don't have cam etc.):

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-387629846.htm
    ok thanks - that may be my answer then , very portable [ I was wondering how I would carry a 7" model ] , emails and video chats and a few pictures .
    Thanks for the advice - I will have a look at some auctions

    .
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dubai/Waikato
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Yep, quite a handy device if you don't want to shell out for an iPhone and the contract.

    Good for hellophoto too (am writing this on my iPod).
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    Yep, quite a handy device if you don't want to shell out for an iPhone and the contract.

    Good for hellophoto too (am writing this on my iPod).
    Cool , I think you've almost convinced me
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    There are a few 'jailbroken' ipods - any advice on this ?
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dubai/Waikato
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    There are a few 'jailbroken' ipods - any advice on this ?
    Hmmm, not sure why you would want to jail-break you ipod (not like iphone where it can be cellphone carrier specific), unless you want to upload non-apple approved software or hacked games/apps etc(?).

    It would be a PITA if wou want to update the OS anyway.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    Hmmm, not sure why you would want to jail-break you ipod (not like iphone where it can be cellphone carrier specific), unless you want to upload non-apple approved software or hacked games/apps etc(?).

    It would be a PITA if wou want to update the OS anyway.

    ok thanks , I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not - or legal
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    5,086

    Default

    Replying with my new iPod thanks for the advice
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •