Thread: Christchurch Studio Meet

Default Christchurch Studio Meet

I'm thinking of renting a studio for a few hours one cold July evening in chc.

This is likely the studio in question, its a decent little setup and not too expensive. I have visited this place though so can probably answer questions if needed.

Not entirely sure when but probably a July Tuesday evening 5-8pm or so.

Never shot in a studio before, so not sure where to start but I think we need people in front of the camera (with clothes, optional I guess) as well as behind, and this probably involves some preparation etc too.

I'm likely to want to do something a little dark and grungy or with a twist but happy to just experiment and go with the flow.

So anyone keen to join in in any capacity?
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

I would probably come along to watch and learn - could be an assistant if need be. never shot in a studio or with proper lighting but would like to learn.

re models - Aylas Angels burlesque troup appear as models in various places - im not sure if they work for free/images but its worth a place to start. Allyeska (not sure if she is here but is on Flickr and twitter) does shoots with them
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

Ditto, i could be interesting in watching and learning.
    You could put up an announcement on model mayhem, im sure there would be a few people wanting some free studio work
    Canon 550D, 18-55mm kit, Sigma 17-70mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Samyang 8mm 3.5 YN467's, RF602tx's

me to id be keen to watch and learn always keen to learn more.

OK looks like i've got myself and 4 other togs probably lined up, and going to try organise it for the 19th of July, 5ish to 8ish.

Need to find someone to shoot lol!

Should be space for a few to pop along and help out I think..
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

how did you get on???

Wow necro thread time

It was good fun thats for sure. I learned I have a lot to learn about studio lighting and directing models! We had the studio owner talk us through a few basic things then we had a go at a few shots each. a couple of hours isnt really enough time for 4-5 people to get into it properly. And either best to have some willing friends/family or very patient model whilst you muck around with lighting.

I did feel the studio setup was a little sterile for my tastes, I think I would prefer to be out at locations but that has a whole other bunch of variables. Also I'm not super keen on the normal model/magazine kind of shooting so would want something more alt and edgy.

Lydia by robjdickinson, on Flickr

its a shame the studio has since closed down, not even sure the building is standing now...

well if you do it again some time count me in would be keen to learn