Thread: Deira Markets

Default Deira Markets

Some photo's from the markets in Deira, Dubai.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

1. Fresh from the Persian Gulf.

2. Arty abstract shot.

3. The haggle.

4. Although there's a roof, the market is open air (and hot and humid in the middle of summer).

5. Red onions.

6. Everyone was quite obliging when I asked if I could take their picture.

7. Lemmy?

8. Some local ladies shopping for some fish for iftar (evening meal to break fast). They are wearing the burqa (face mask on the left) and gishwa (veil on the right).

9. Another arty abstract shot.

13. Date season at the moment, so plenty of fresh dates (not those dried tasteless ones you get in the supermarket).

14. Its the holy month of Ramadan at the moment, so quite common to see men wearing the taqiyah (cap).

16. Some of the local men wearing the dishdasha, or khandoura. Great for when it is 40C and 40% humidity.

17. You don't get forearms like this from working at a desk job.

19. This guy was abit miffed after I showed him the LCD screen and saw I had 'bokehed' him out.

20. One of the few places in Dubai which hasn't been too modernised, and great for getting 'timeless' shots like this.

21. Hard not to think you're being stared at.

22. A good chance too to practice some candid potraits with the 50.

24. Some more tasty, fresh dates.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Wow - some awesome shots there buddy! I'm glad you noted that the woman in the burqa was wearing a face mask - for a moment I thought Groucho Marx was alive and well

The only 'advice' I'd offer is when using such a wide angle lens maybe try shooting from about hip height a little more?
    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
    -- Albert Einstein

Pentax K-5 | DA 18-55mm WR | DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) | DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited | DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM | Sigma KAF 100-300 f4.5-6.7 UC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Prue View Post
    Wow - some awesome shots there buddy! I'm glad you noted that the woman in the burqa was wearing a face mask - for a moment I thought Groucho Marx was alive and well

The only 'advice' I'd offer is when using such a wide angle lens maybe try shooting from about hip height a little more?
    Yep, the burqa or 'bird beak' looking thing is mainly worn by older ladies, as the veil has become more fashionable for younger ladies. They have a cartoon series called freej here, about a bunch of arabic grannies, who wear the burqa. Quite funny seeing modern CGI cartoon with the grannies wearing the old style burqa.

Name:  Freej.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  64.9 KB

Yep, need to try some 'from the hip' shots with the UWA. Get some less vertigo inducing perspectives .

Was a great place to walk around. Alot more more interesting than shopping at the local supermarket. Here is one of the local delicacies I saw, skinned goat head:

Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Beautiful and horrible images there Dan, gee life is sure different around the place. You seem to get the people's confidence well, your communication skills must be very good.
    I love that crab shot.

Ohhhhh... Great... I was about to have tea, but think I'll skip it now
    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
    -- Albert Einstein

Pentax K-5 | DA 18-55mm WR | DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) | DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited | DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM | Sigma KAF 100-300 f4.5-6.7 UC

Some good shots in here Dan. I second the shoot from the hip comment. I took this shot shooting from my ankles!
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

I hate you Mesodan!!!!

Once again you have posted shots that make me want to take to my hard drive with an angle grinder whilst blubbering "I'm not worthy!"
    Love the wide angle stuff, I hope Santa gets me one this year, hopefully I have the balls to get into the shot to create the impact you do.

Quote Originally Posted by bigROBOTbill View Post
    You seem to get the people's confidence well, your communication skills must be very good.
    Cheers, Jos. I just put on my big cheesy grin, asked politely, and they were quite amenable for a quick snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Prue View Post
    Ohhhhh... Great... I was about to have tea, but think I'll skip it now
    Hehehee! Yep, the butchers weren't afraid to let it all hangout.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Some good shots in here Dan. I second the shoot from the hip comment. I took this shot shooting from my ankles!
    Wow! Was that planned, or just good timing? Cool shot, Adam.

Yep, I need to do abit of experimentation with lower angles. I managed to get this capture though of these three guys. They were abit amused when I kneeled down on the damp floor of the butchers to get this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    I hate you Mesodan!!!!

Once again you have posted shots that make me want to take to my hard drive with an angle grinder whilst blubbering "I'm not worthy!"
    Love the wide angle stuff, I hope Santa gets me one this year, hopefully I have the balls to get into the shot to create the impact you do.
    Thanks, Graham. The UWA is great for the 'photo-journalistic' type shots, my 10-22mm is one of my most used lenses. These pics are 90% opportunity, 10% skill, so was easy even for an amateur like me to interesting shots.