Thread: New CS5 add on from Dan Margulis

Default New CS5 add on from Dan Margulis

Photoshoppers might want to check this out:

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/ppw

Produced by a fellow that knows more about colour management in photoshop than probably anyone else..
    Nikon D600 and a bag full of prime goodness..

Is that for real!? Will give it a try over the weekend!
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

I've seen his tutorials on kelby. He does a lot of Lab colour stuff and he's really good. Thanks for that.
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

My post doubled up grrr
    Last edited by Lia; 18-09-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: It doubled up

Just to change tack , don't want to put up another thread. When i've processed raw format photos and they've been converted to jpg there is also a file that is there beside it ending with .xmp which i delete because it just sits there for no reason at all taking up space. I'm sure there is more to it then that though and then while i'm here and for interests sake ..all those names that show when CS5 is loading up (you know with brushes etc.) who are those people and i swear the names change ..suppose i should google it but then one of you might be able to tell me...so lazy ;D

Hi Lia

The RAW and xmp files go hand-in-hand, when you pp in PS/Lightroom etc, all the changes that you make to the pic are written to the xmp file,

eg, pp pic in PS, then delete your xmp file, you'll lose all that hard work you did, if you ever go back to do work on your RAW file.

One way around this is to convert your RAW files to DNG (Digital Negative) a DNG doesn't use xmp files.

Check out the link below and watch the podcast "Why DNG", it might explain it better than I have.

http://creativesuitepodcast.com/2008/02

I convert all my RAW files to DNG on import

Cheers
    Scott
    Nikon D90 - AF-S 18-200mm - AF-S 50mm 1.4 - SB900 - Lightroom 5 - Photoshop CC - onOne Perfect Photo7 suite

In the Camera Raw settings you have the option of saving RAW changes to XMP files or to a Camera Raw database. So you can use the database option if you don't like the files.

If you don't make big changes in Camera Raw, then the XMP isn't super important, but if you go back later to do something with that raw file, it will be SOOC (straight out of the camera) again.
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

One advantage with xmp files is that if you alter your raw development, you only have to backup the changed, small xmp file. If the changes are embedded in the raw file, such as a DNG file, you have to backup that whole, large file again. So xmp's save backup time that way.

Thanks heaps for the info , i would be telling a lie if i say i understand all of this but certainly yes i do understand now that it is the file containing the alterations i did to the image. Well it's not much good for the likes of me :P Luckily mostly these files for me are studying and trying "stuff" and not so precious. Trouble is though , whenever i try to open the xmp files they won't open because windows needs to know which friggin program created it..grrr and delete :/