Thread: Hawarden - old police station?

Default Hawarden - old police station?

I first photographed this building about 20 years ago using B&W film. I was never happy with the results and I'd actually forgotten where it was until I spotted it again today.

Now I'm taking a total guess at what it is when I say it may be the old Hawarden police station. Let me know what you think... it has no windows apart from the two at the front, on entering the building (if you could via the doors!) there is a very small room to the right (maybe 2.5m x 3m), and you are entering into a room that at a guess (I didn't step it out) is maybe 3m deep by x 4m wide. It appears as if both windows originally had hefty bars across them and the entrance is rather grand for such a small building I thought. The interior is completely over run by the tree / vine and although there appear to be some wooden benches under the growth in the larger room I can't be sure what there are. I haven't found anything on the web about it unfortunately.

Name:  _IGP4784 TJ - sRGB - sml - CR.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  271.1 KB

Name:  _IGP4709 T2J - sRGB - sml - CR.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  563.8 KB

Name:  _IGP4735 RJ - sRGB - sml - CR.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  453.2 KB

Name:  _IGP4771 A - sRGB - sml - CR.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  402.7 KB
    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
    -- Albert Einstein

Pentax K-5 | DA 18-55mm WR | DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) | DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited | DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM | Sigma KAF 100-300 f4.5-6.7 UC

Nice find! Like that last shot.

What an amazing place!
    I like the like lock and door leading into beyond, dare I say it, a bit of hdr would make it great.
    Also I'd like to see it with less foregound in the second one one.

Nice set Pete, love number #3.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Could be a bank......

Neat looking place though.

Quote Originally Posted by bigROBOTbill View Post
    What an amazing place!
    I like the like lock and door leading into beyond, dare I say it, a bit of hdr would make it great.
    Also I'd like to see it with less foregound in the second one one.
    Cheers, I'm not a fan of the 'pushed too far' HDR look but it is a dark shot and screen calibration could be playing a part perhaps? I used a couple of different exposure layers out of RAW for the door shot and then tweaked a bit further.

Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    Could be a bank......

Neat looking place though.
    Great thought! I'll try and find out more if I can.

I'll definitely be heading back there in the winter when the foliage has died off. Should lend itself more to B&W then.
    "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
    -- Albert Einstein

Pentax K-5 | DA 18-55mm WR | DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) | DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited | DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM | Sigma KAF 100-300 f4.5-6.7 UC

Took me a few minutes to find out where Hawarden was but great building wish I had found it myself.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)