Thread: Born into Brothels

Default Born into Brothels

An excellent film about a NY photographer Zana Briski who goes into the Red Light district of Calcutta aiming to photogrpahy life there. She gets caught up with the children of the RLD, gives each one a camera and they end up getting a World Press Photo Exhibition out of it. It's a touching and interesting movie, definitely worth a rent, if not even a buy, there are a few copies on Trademe.

Attachment 10550
    Attachment 10551

Paul

+1, really great, inspiring doco.

In other photography related viewings, I finally got around to watching Restrepo, in which a journalist and photojournalist spend a year with a US platoon in Afghanistan, and it was fantastic. It was co-directed by conflict photographer tim Hetherington, who was killed earlier this year coving the Libyan civil war. On par with Born into Brothels I'd say, well recommended.

Name:  Restrepo_poster.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  16.5 KB

I saw Restrepo last year in a very small independent cinema in Juneu, Alaska, I didn't know anything about Tim Hetherington at the time, now I obviously do. I would watch it again.

..I got all caught up reading about Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros.. i'm lost for words..have seen Zana Briski's ..it's excellent.