Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to make MONEY out of my photography

weka2000 Guest

Default I want to make MONEY out of my photography

So ideas, how can I make money (want a new lens)

For those that do make money out of their photography esp selling prints, how, where and what are the pitfalls and what are the markets.

How many use their website and again how do you market?

I will focus on my landscapes ........ prints canvas and photo paper

Mmm me too. Personally I run a blog, which I try to update weekly, and facebook which in theory feeds my blog with viewers. Also use Twitter (automated from blog/facebook) which is good for local listings etc. All of my work is generated by word of mouth and mainly I expect facebook. When I grow up I might have a website and actively go and seek work. Big step, recently, for me was actually getting some business cards (below). Which also act as a mini portfolio when I'm out and about. Although I've had some interest with prints of landscapes, I just can't yet bring myself to invest in printing and framing for display. One step at a time.

Name:  377170_279124318804327_179029848813775_879340_843969076_n.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  107.9 KB
    5D Mark III, 7DGripped, 30DGripped, Canon 70 - 200 F2.8 IS II, Tokina AF 11-16mm F2.8, Sigma 30mmF1.4, Canon 50mm F1.4 USM, Canon 24-105mm F4L IS, Speedlite 430ex ii and other stuff.

http://jimpollardgoesclick.com

https://www.facebook.com/jimpollardgoesclick

duncan Guest

It doesn't answer your question directly, had a quick look at your website Tony, and to me a lot of the photographs are really good (I sqiizzed thru the landscapes) but a bit let down by the amateurish title printing (font size & type just doesn't say "class" as much as "mspaint") It doesn't need a slash & burn approach, just a bit of a tidy up.

Also having a lot of different sized pictures means that you need to mouse all over the place to step to the next shot so unless you can template the page with the forward/back arrows in exactly the same place, I would become tedious quite quickly.

I guess it comes down to what do people spend money on - what was the last image you bought & why?

weka2000 Guest

Thats what I mean need a re do and standard format.

Ive never brought a photo

Quote Originally Posted by weka2000 View Post
    Thats what I mean need a re do and standard format.

Ive never brought a photo
    I havnt seen your website care to post URL?

Have a look at Jalbum good for template sites, there are others but the best require a bit of web developement knowledge.
    Last edited by Arthur; 19-01-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Fat Fingers Poor keyboard
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Go do some wedding's

weka2000 Guest

Jalbum, coppermine etc been there done that and didnt like results.
    Will post link when done

How to make money:

Get lucky with some corporate picture services
    Print and sell at markets
    Do weddings
    Get into some very good stock sites with lots of great images (hedgehog house, getty etc)
    Do weddings
    Get into some product/real estate kind of work..
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

I was told that if I wanted to make money out of my camera gear was to sell it
    “If you find yourself saying I’ll fix it in Photoshop, stop and slap yourself in the face, because you’re being lazy”

---------------
    http://www.ctphotography.co.nz
    Camera's include Nikon D7000 plus a 1897 Lancaster Instantograph which still works and a Leica miniature (Minox) digital camera.

Time to drag out the old photographer/pizza joke..
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

weka2000 Guest

I DONT do weddings ......... trust me my people skills are interesting

Hah I hear that, I do(well did) retirement villages, seems to work out ok

A few of those a month I could give up the day job! Working out what kind of turnover you need to provide a decent income is scary...

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    Hah I hear that, I do(well did) retirement villages, seems to work out ok

A few of those a month I could give up the day job! Working out what kind of turnover you need to provide a decent income is scary...
    Isn't burglary illegal?
    Check out my Flickr account through Fluidr

IIRC Weka, you work at a school?

School balls, portraits of kids, etc.

How about motorsport photography? Might be able to freelance for some of the magazines or car clubs?

Otherwise... weddings!

weka2000 Guest

Done motorsport, dislike working and shooting people basically, but love landscapes ......

OK landscapes means selling prints or images though web or stock.

Stock wont be quick, get a set of your best images together, get them processed as best you can get some prints done start hawking round stock sites and galleries or markets.

for landscapes i've noticed a lot of the cafes in wellington have framed photos with prices on them.. might be worth talking to a cafe owner and see if you can come to an arrangement?

real estate is another possibility, you can target people who are selling privately or perhaps talk to an agent and get exclusivity?

just throwing ideas your way

I've made a bit of extra cash through calendar companies. The ones I deal with pay between $100 - $300 per image so it's not much (still haven't gotten my own dedicated calendar.... yet) but at least covers my travel expenses and so far they've all come back in subsequent years for more images. I've found stock sites to be largely a waste of time unless you have a high volume of images.

Flickr

How about a better paying job and just make it easier to throw money at photography as a hobby?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfinster View Post
    How about a better paying job and just make it easier to throw money at photography as a hobby?
    This is the best option...

weka2000 Guest

I will never work for money ....... I go to a job because I enjoy it not the hourly rate. My wife triples what I get and she hates every moment of going to work. But she cant get out of it cause of the $$$$

Keep ideas comming they all get pondered over and thought about.

It's possible to do a job you enjoy and get paid well for it

weka2000 Guest

I agree. Ive just never been money orintated.

Sure fire way to make a small fortune from photography: start with a large fortune!