Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some photo locations North Island

weka2000 Guest

look foward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by weka2000 View Post
    look foward to it.
    Likewise

Tuesday is no good as by the time we get in and pick up the car we'll be looking for a feed and a sleep.

I'm planing on going to the stonefields on the Wednesday, probably get there sometime late morning as we maybe a little late getting out of bed due to the time difference.

If the day or time is not suitable thats okay, likewise if something crops up in the meantime.

duncan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    , keep an eye out on the left as there's an abandoned aircraft fuselage covered in algae and moss in someone's section
    I did a small job in Awhitu in a previous century (mid 90's I think) and the chap was talking about the Bristol Freighter being carted to the property on a truck to be used as some sort of farm house for animals. Good to see it's survived the indignity...

Since you're going to be in Auckland, someone should mention the Waitakere ranges and west coast beaches (Piha, Muriwai, etc). There's loads of bush and waterfalls within an hours drive from South Auckland and some nice waterfalls with 5 minutes to an hours walk from the road.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Since you're going to be in Auckland, someone should mention the Waitakere ranges and west coast beaches (Piha, Muriwai, etc). There's loads of bush and waterfalls within an hours drive from South Auckland and some nice waterfalls with 5 minutes to an hours walk from the road.
    Thanks Steve,

I'll see how we end up time wise.

I went to the stonefields today, but only ended up staying around 2 hours as I was getting very wet and so was my camera On the way out I did a bit of a scout around the botanical gardens, before the heavens really let loose.

I'm planning to revisit the gardens, there looks like plenty of photo opportunities in there.

We managed to get to Lake Waikaremoana today. The weather today was great, unlike yesterday afternoon where we got absolutely drenched.

I've been having a ball taking hundreds of snapshots, and I'm looking forward to getting home and processing them.

I find the laptop screen hard to work with.

Anyway here is a happy snap from today!

We arrived back home this morning. Although the weather was pretty ordinary for most of out trip, we both had a great time.

Thank you all for your valued input, it certainly made life easier. Unfortunately due to our daughter turning up from the USA, we lost three days. But we still managed to get to the majority of the places on our itinerary.

Here are a few more happy snaps from the trip

I'll post a few more later on

Looks like you got around a bit. Sorry about the weather. Maybe next year we'll get two summers to make up for it.
    Where is the church in #7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Looks like you got around a bit. Sorry about the weather. Maybe next year we'll get two summers to make up for it.
    Where is the church in #7 ?
    It's the Kohekohe Presbyterian Church on the way out to Awhitu

Admin put me onto it in his post here

[QUOTE=Richard_M;68888]We managed to get to Lake Waikaremoana today. [QUOTE]

Oh ha, which way did you get there, South East from Rotorua side or upward north west from the east coast.

There are some wonderful Photo Ops in there, but oh my god what a road.

A currently topical (The Urewera Trials) shot taken on the way from Waikaremoana to Murapara.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  458.3 KB
    Titled :Te Urewera Local Target Practice
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurhh View Post

Oh ha, which way did you get there, South East from Rotorua side or upward north west from the east coast.

There are some wonderful Photo Ops in there, but oh my god what a road.

A currently topical (The Urewera Trials) shot taken on the way from Waikaremoana to Murapara.
    We went from Rotorua, and yes the road was a little ordinary at times particularly as some parts are only one lane, and there were some big trucks coming the other way.

We were on the road for six hours that day, and it was basically drive there and back again with a few happy snaps in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_M View Post
    We went from Rotorua, and yes the road was a little ordinary at times particularly as some parts are only one lane, and there were some big trucks coming the other way.

We were on the road for six hours that day, and it was basically drive there and back again with a few happy snaps in between.
    A little Ordinary, hardly describes it when I was last through there, but that was 2-3 years ago, I left Napier returning from a business trip there and decided to say bugger highway 5 been there done that enough, so I opted to go via Murapara Highway 38 .... Mistake and it was a well learnt one cant see how it gets a number let alone the description Highway but it was all part of the fun taking 7 hours to do a trip I normally do in 2.5 hours on lower number highways.

In that area is such a wealth of Photo opportunity, streams trickling over old lava flows, flowers and fauna, even Moaraki type boulders in road cuts, waterfalls most in easy walking access, even the local people (But I'd be careful there now days, people with big cameras may not be appreciated)

Been meaning to go back, but haven't been too keen on a 10m, 10 ton motor home on that road.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)