Thread: Trade me Lens Advice

Exclamation Trade me Lens Advice

Hi Everyone! How are you? First post here, but just wanting some advice -

I bought a lens off trade me, the seller assured me that it was brand new, un opened, unused etc etc.. After asking twice to make sure it was brand new etc..(and being a bit skeptical) I bring it home and its got obvious wear and tear marks on the mount, and cat fur in the lens hood and lens cap.

I don't mind that it its second hand, I do mind that they tried to market it being 'brand new' etc, they could have just said 'used a few times, but new condition' and that would have been fine.

Also I mind that the seller was a pro photog and most likely has then made money off this lens.

Also its pretty obvious by watching some you tube 'un boxing videos' that this box has been opened before...

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by sempre_vivace; 23-02-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: font was all messed up

Trademe is always abit of a gamble, you win some, you lose some.

If you're not satisfied with the lens though, contact the seller.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Hi Thanks

Yea I;ve emailed them - tried to be reasonable yet blunt to get the point across!

Cheers

duncan Guest

if the discussion really goes off the rails, you need only to point out that the interweb is actually a very small place and it's really easy to find less-than-100% reviews of how people operate.

hope they see sense & come to a mutual agreement...

Thanks!

They just had the cheek to email to say they opened the lens, put it on their camera once to take a test photo of a cat... Sounds absurd!! I've left them extremely bad feedback on trademe. Sigh!

Cat photos are the only way to test out a new lens.

Who was it? I'm looking at buying some secondhand gear shortly and would like to know who to avoid

Hi there

I don't overly want to name and shame, however you asked for the name:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=2661979

IMO if it is new (and even if it has gone through his hands, not dropshipped - where did the parcel come from?) opening it, mounting it, using it, is not new.

You think B&H or P&V open up all the kit they get to test it?

They should have sent it to you and dealt with problems if it was DOA right then (they can get the serial no of the box).
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Hi Thanks RJD
    They seem to not realize that point too! I'm glad you agree with what I think. I picked up the lens from their studio.

The following is what they replied to my email with my 'this is not new, as was stated in the auction' email.... who takes test photos of a cat!? honestly!!!!

Hi

I'm sorry you feel that way however the lens is brand new and was sold below the average market price. It will be a big asset to your camera bag.

The lens was never used to make any money or take anything than test images, it was simply opened and mounted to my camera one time to ensure correct operation after it had been sent to us from overseas. As a prudent seller I would want to ensure what I'm selling is up to scratch. I was taking test images of our cat (hence the car fur). If you see our operational lens (or the other Tamron lens I have on Trade Me which is listed as used because it is) and compare them to you well taken technical images attached you would see how worn they get after the many weddings, portraits & commercial photo shoots we do so if we had used it you would definitely know about it.

If you have any warranty issues with the lens within the next year please contact myself or Laura and we'll get it sent away to be fixed or replaced at no cost to you (through our equipment supplier, they look after us well). Obviously if you damage, drop it or soak it in water by accident it would be an insurance issue (which you do need photographing weddings and you have a lot of kit)

Regards,
    Ben

Have you tried contacting Trademe themselves - they do have some mediation options available in this kind of situation, and if you get serious then the vendor might play nice?
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

I guess to absolutely nitpik, then 'opening it up, mounting and testing' would make it a 'used' item. Although what they've jst described is not much different to a customer opening the box and testing it at the shop before going home with it.

In summary if you got it at a bargain or significantly cheaper than if you purchased it 'new' in a 'shop', i'd advise to just walk away and take photos with the new gear.

EDIT: ok just followed the link you posted and saw that the seller did indicate 'new and unused'. So is the dust that you mentioned in the lens itself? And the wear on the mount? Got photos...?

Hi Random guy

Thanks for replying! Yes I have photos - I'll upload them for you all to inspect. There is the fur and the lens mount wear / paint chip on the aperture bit (The pictures are a bit rubbish but you get the point)
    I just wrote to trade me.

Also no I didn't get a massive saving - the cheapest I could have got it elsewhere was for another $76 plus $20 postage from a camera shop in ChCh, or pay $150- $300 more from a shop in Auckland. I am wishing I done this now!!!Name:  Tamron Wear and Tear-2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  288.1 KBName:  Tamron Wear and Tear-3.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  265.1 KBName:  Tamron Wear and Tear-5.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  270.7 KBName:  Tamron Wear and Tear-6.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  252.5 KBName:  Tamron Wear and Tear-7.jpg
Size:  287.4 KBName:  Tamron Wear and Tear-8.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  325.3 KBName:  Tamron Wear and Tear-9.jpg
Size:  306.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Blue Rose

No I havn't- really at the end of the day, the lens works. I am shooting engagement pictures this weekend and want to use it (Although I do have truck loads of other lens's that will do the job perfectly well) so I am not sure if I will gain anything by demanding a refund or bringing trademe into it. However I am not too happy about having negative feedback - I paid the money for the lens!

If your not happy with it...

First dont use it , at all.

Second contact the seller tell them you want a full refund (do this through trademe if you need to) as goods were not as described.

You cant sell a lens as new if it has been opened and used! If they had said so on the auction then fair game, but they havnt.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

I would check out the "Sale of goods act 1908"and on the first link scroll down to :You may be entitled to a full refund when:

http://www.getfrank.co.nz/investment...e-of-goods-act

http://www.netlawman.co.nz/acts/sale...s-act-1908.php

And theres always the small claims court,he might jump when you mention that,worth a shot lol.

[QUOTE=sempre_vivace;68643] I was taking test images of our cat (hence the car fur). [/QUOTE]

Bawhahaaaaa!
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by sempre_vivace View Post
    I was taking test images of our cat (hence the car fur).
    Bawhahaaaaa!!!

duncan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sempre_vivace View Post
    Also no I didn't get a massive saving - the cheapest I could have got it elsewhere was for another $76 plus $20 postage from a camera shop in ChCh, or pay $150- $300 more from a shop in Auckland
    Interestingly, B&H in the US (bhphoto.com) cost would be USD$836.79 including shipping and even with a pretty average Westpac conversion rate wouldn't be much more than $1050 kiwi. Factor in paying GST etc and it still wouldn't be more than $1400 from one of the biggest camera retailers in the world.

one wonders what the seller paid for it...

Hi there

Yes Duncan - I did look at the overseas price... However I got a 35mm Prime from Hong Kong, and I think it got dropped in the post as it always focuses quite loudly. (Sounds terrible compared to my other primes). So I didn't want to take the overseas risk again.

I guess he made a good amount of money from his 'over seas supplier who looks after us well'.

But to update the situation - I emailed trademe, who TOTALLY backed me up. They removed his terrible feedback/rant on my account, and said they'll send him a reprimand email and ask that they email me to negotiate. I doubt I'll ever hear from him again, however I don't think anyone else who reads my feedback would want to buy a lens from him!! (unless he sets up a new trademe account!!) If he does email me hassling me I'll send him a link to have a read of this forum.

I really appreciate everyones support and comments and suggestions from this forum! All of the experienced / distinguished forum members most likely have a crap load more photography experience than this seller. So I appreciate hearing what you think. And I guess I just have to laugh about the cat fur business!!

The lens works, I'll keep it, and NEVER deal with this stupid guy again!

:-)

Lizzie

FYI I have cats with long white fur that gets into EVERYTHING (ie I must consume a certain amount everyyear I am sure) and every now and then I have to pull one of their hairs out of my camera. No idea how they get in there as the gear stays in the bag when its in the house. But it *does* happen
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

Yes it does, I have 3 cats, hairs get everywhere, but shouldnt be on a new lens, even one just fired for a couple of test shots.

I thought the most telling part were the wear marks on the lens mount. Looked like the lens had been taken on and off a camera a few times.
    Lighten up!
    I shoot with Canon EOS 500 & 6D, EFS17-55 f2.8, EF35L f1.4, EF135L f2, Speedlites 580EX II & 430EX II.