Thread: Portrait C&C

Default Portrait C&C

Lighting crit on these please.

For #1, probably 1/3 stop less on the left side and 1/3 stop more on the right. Another nit pick is watch out for glasses causing uneven lighting on the face- see shadow and highlight on the cheekbone on camera right.
    For #2, probably need the light closer and more on the hair and right side.

I think having more flatter/frontal lighting will minimise wrinkles and furrows. But somehow I don't think that is what you are after.
    Lighten up!
    I shoot with Canon EOS 500 & 6D, EFS17-55 f2.8, EF35L f1.4, EF135L f2, Speedlites 580EX II & 430EX II.

Paul

I wont critique the shots, really I dont feel qualified to do so.

But there is always a but

You are obviously a serious photographer, a profession I suspect you are making of this (Appologies to yoda)

Your choice of subjects is interesting and causes me to make my Yoda comment.

I like the style, I like the subject choice, but as I have not got a fully developed eye for photography and find the monochrome approach not attractive. In my mind it is down playing the subject material...... bugger I have just critiqued the shots

My 2 cents as a beginer
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Athur;

Critique anyones photos you can.

Money I do not make from photography (therefore can never be a professional).

Yoda this is not

Thanks for your 2 cents, appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    For #1, probably 1/3 stop less on the left side and 1/3 stop more on the right. Another nit pick is watch out for glasses causing uneven lighting on the face- see shadow and highlight on the cheekbone on camera right.
    For #2, probably need the light closer and more on the hair and right side.

I think having more flatter/frontal lighting will minimise wrinkles and furrows. But somehow I don't think that is what you are after.
    Ooh that uneven light from the glasses really is small print, nice spot, doesn't appear in #2, really difficult to compensate for that, other than taking the glasses off. If I alter the light ratio as you suggest, I will be tilting towards a flatter light profile, losing the wrinkles and the shadows, which is not what I want (as you have said in the last line!)