Thread: Hamilton Zoo with Trevor Penfold

Default Hamilton Zoo with Trevor Penfold

Hi guys, our friend Trevor Penfold has asked D-Photo to spread the word on an upcoming workshop he's running at Hamilton zoo - details here.

Looks like it would be a good opportunity to fine-tune the old wildlife skills.

D-Photo is also hoping to put something akin to this together specifically for Hellophoto members later in the year and I was hoping you guys might have some suggestions as to the kind of thing you'd be interested in attending. Would you be keen for a workshop type event, with a pro of some sort dishing out some tips - or would you be more into a photo walk type thing where we could arrange access to some place interesting and wander about and shoot as a group?

Any ideas you guys have, shout out.

Great place to lug a camera around. I hope you get the chance to get behind some of the gates. I found the highlight being feeding the lemurs grapes & giraffes carrots. Was surprised how destructive the birds in the free flight can be. And amused how odd an animal the Tapirs were while we fed the bananas.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some photo's.
    Canon 550d, Canon 18-55 EF-S IS, Canon 75-300 EF, borrowed Canon 50mm 1.8. Wide angle lens very high on wishlist.

I went on Trevor's zoo workshop on Saturday and have to say that it was excellent. The format worked really well. About 8 or 9 people I think, of varying experience and Trevor bouncing around between us offering advice and critique while the subject is still there in front of you so you can have another go. The venue is just the right size too.
    I certainly plan to attend more of his workshops, if not the same one again and IMHO, easily worth the price and the drive from Auckland.

Some pics

Antelope by stevetla, on Flickr

Meerkat by stevetla, on Flickr

Cheetah by stevetla, on Flickr

Steve.

madisonbrock Guest

I am a wildlife photographer. This is A great opportunity to improve your photography skills on location at Hamilton Zoo

Default Auckland Zoo

Name:  ND5100 20120712_13-35_06 (Mobile).JPG
Views: 102
Size:  45.5 KB
    I love these guys... I just love Trevors Photos of them all laying down...

What are the rules regarding photography of captive animals? Can you sell the work etc?

Zoo's tend to exclude commercial photography without permission, so no you typically cant sell the pics.

I think you would get a release pretty easily if you asked though.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.