Thread: SD Cards

Default SD Cards

Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I need some more SD cards. I've had a look and decided that I probably only need Class 6, but I have no idea when it comes to brands. I've currently got panasonic and Lexar cards. I don't have a huge budget and was looking about on trademe (always a bargain right?) where there seem to be many no-name or unheard-of brands floating about. Can anyone give some enlightenment (ALWAYS wanted to use that word in a sentence) as to what could be considered safe and what I should avoid at all costs?

Cheers...

The good brands I think are Kingston and SanDisk. Be wary of cards you buy off tradme, there are a lot (maybe 50%) of counterfeit cards in circulation. I bought a couple of cheap 8GB SDHC cards to use in a cellphone, or as emergency backup for my camera, and neither would work in the phone, camera, or format on the PC. They were only $15-20, so I should have guessed. I think they were Apacer.
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

I don't buy cards on Trademe - too much risk for me.
    In the past I've used flashcards.co.nz with no problems, usually good prices and great service.
    You need class 10 for HD video I believe. Any extra speed is always good for downloading to your computer anyway.
    I've just always bought Sandisk on reputation.

Not always though. I've bought some with and some without. Also some came with a USB card reader, and some didn't.

Ah that so? I've always gotten the 8GB CF and they have it

Always stuck with SanDisk Extreme cards.

http://einfo.co.nz/shop/sandisk-extr...s-p-16261.html 8GB 30MB/s $65
    http://einfo.co.nz/shop/sandisk-16gb...s-p-24325.html 16GB 95MB/s $148

Also if you get a USB3.0 card reader You will really appreciate the extra speed.
    They even under rate there speed a bit, this was from one of there 35MB/s rated cards:

Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT| Lightroom 5 |

Try adata, they have been around for years in New Zealand and you can pick them up cheap anywhere from Trade Me to The Warehouse Stationery stores.

Those that know Bartman88 (trader on trademe), he recommended the Adata cards, but i went with Sandisk myself.
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

I've got a Sandisk 8gb sd that I can't use since I sold my camera that had dual slots. It's fairly new and a good one too, if you wanna buy it email me james@jyphoto.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
    But James the 5D3 will have a SD slot..
    Hahaha, dude...