Thread: New Road Rules

Default New Road Rules

I've only been here for just over a year and I am going to find it difficult to adjust. In a way, i think it is a shame the rules are changing, as the old turning rule was quintessential New Zealand for me.

Anyway, I have an issue/question that doesn't involve both vehicles turning and it is this. If the following situation occurs as below, and the GREEN car wants to go straight on and the RED car wants to turn to its right (and both cars arrive at the junction at exactly the same time). Who has right of way?

The Biggest One
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Turning car has to give way.
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

Red car gives way. Basically if you're turning right you give way to everyone. The exceptions are at the following uncontrolled intersections:
    1) At a T junction when a car is on your right and wanting to turn right. In that case the car on the terminating road gives way to everyone.
    2) At a 4 way intersection when a car is on your left and wanting to turn right. In that case the other car gives way since you're both turning right and you are on its right.

Hopefully I have that right! The second exception is the one I always find confusing, but luckily there are very few uncontrolled 4 way intersections (at least in urban areas).... the only times I really encounter them are in shopping centre car parks....

Flickr