Thread: Suggestions for printers / printing companies

Default Suggestions for printers / printing companies

Hello All!

First time poster here! I like to take photos in my spare time, as a hobby. I've never studied it, or taken a class for it, so I don't really know where to begin in regards to printing. As I've only had photos printed to the size of 6x4 and that alone, I've rarely done!

I only really post my photos to Facebook for my friends to see. Lately a couple of my friends and family have asked if I would be interested in selling some prints to them. I agreed and said I would love to sell them some prints. But I have no idea where to get them printed! I would like them quite big, not the standard 6x4 available at shops. I'm thinking more, 30cm at the widest side.

So what I'm after, are some suggestions for websites (or local stores, I'm in CHCH) for great quality prints, and I would also like some suggestions for photo blocks, just small ones, about 15cm x 15cm. I'm personally not too fussed about the price of them, but I would like the prices to be affordable for my friends and family :)

Here are some of my photos that people are interested in to give you an idea:

Name:  1.png
Views: 191
Size:  138.7 KB Name:  2.png
Views: 190
Size:  192.6 KB Name:  3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  100.2 KB Name:  4.jpg
Size:  59.7 KB Name:  5.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  76.3 KB Name:  6.jpg
Size:  74.6 KB Name:  7.jpg
Size:  93.2 KB

As you can see, they are squares - would I have to print them standard size and then slice them up with a craft knife? Not all the photos I want to print will be squares though.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    I really do appreciate it! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I would definitely consider canvas prints! Do you have any recommendations? I got one done here in Christchurch, pre Earthquake, I was really happy with the results, it was quite expensive however and the shop is no longer open

I also just noticed your "Facebook" link, my best friend is having an engagement shoot with you tonight

I think the fujifilm outlets do canvas prints,the one here in Picton told me it takes 10 days for them to do it and return.I was looking at getting some done but I don't know what their finish is like on them i think they use Pine frames and their A1 size was $102.00 all up.But they have all different sizes as well,maybe worth a look in chch.
    Canon 6d, Canon EOS-M ,50mm f1.8,17-40L, 24-105L,100L Macro, Samyang 2.8/14mm, 135mm f3.5 Takumar,EF-M 18-55mm,Manfrotto tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by utterlyinlove View Post
    I would definitely consider canvas prints! Do you have any recommendations? I got one done here in Christchurch, pre Earthquake, I was really happy with the results, it was quite expensive however and the shop is no longer open

I also just noticed your "Facebook" link, my best friend is having an engagement shoot with you tonight
    Oh cool, what a small world, Emily?

I have heard great things about canvart (www.canvart.co.nz) but have not personally used them yet.

Lovely images,

Just thought I'd hop in. I am using www.rfa.co.nz (Rembrandt Fine Arts) for canvas prints - based in Napier.

Desmond suggested them to me as he used them for an exhibition, and I'm glad he did.
    I have had about 5 printed now on light canvas and am exceedingly happy with the result - they are hanging in public view and the customer is very happy.
    They are a wholesale company, so you need to apply for a customer account, but because they are wholesale the prices are great - cost me about $39 + GST per A1 print and I think the quality is very good.
    Custom sizes are slightly more expensive (to be expected).

If you contact sales@rfa.co.nz they'll send you info on prices and the process to get the image files to them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Duncan
    Check out my Flickr account through Fluidr

Lovely photos, not surprised people want them. Those clear perspex blocks are pretty cool too.

http://www.thruthelenz.co.nz/creatio...c_photo_blocks

they seem to do quite a range of stuff actually

Kens digital do the best printing in chch.

I get my canvases printed by the photo gallery in Dunedin, had ~200 or so from them, great quality.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Here's a place that will print, stretch, frame or whatever with your images, then you point your people to it, they order what they want and you get $

http://society6.com/prints/photography

hit join to join

I have never had an ambition to sell my images in anything except a casual way limited profit to those who see my home gallery. But the number I have sold in A3+ size in a Warehouse frame has convinced me to look again at this.

My images do not have major public appeal, what I call Gallery style, but they suit some people so the market for me is limited.

My current plan is to choose a number of images for my home gallery and do them in A1ish size via Rembrandt Fine Arts. See what reaction I get from my associates and visitors and them move into a deal with a local cafe and a stall holder at a farmers market.
    I am sure I will not retire on the income (or even give up my day job) but I will get an immense personal satisfaction from it.

Any way to the original question, my A3+ printer cost me about 300 on trademe, its results are great but not spectacular. Its running costs are not exorbitant and it is a good solution for me.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions, I appreciate it, A LOT!
    I haven't had time to have a look at the websites provided, but I'll have a look at them all in the weekend and get back to everyone

Thanks again!

I finally got the chance to go through all the websites suggested
    I'm unsure how to reply to multiple posts, but here goes!

Duncanm
    I only saw frames on the website at first, which I LOVE! Especially the unpainted wood ones! Can you point me in the right direction of canvas prints? I looked it up in the product search but couldn't find anything, or do I sign up for an account before I can do anything ?

I went to sign up for an account and I noticed on the form that it asks for my 'accountant' and 'solicitor' … do I have to be a registered business to have an account with them?

bigROBOTbill
    Thanks so much for that link! I was actually in a store the other day here in Christchurch which had the perspex blocks and I was wondering where on Earth I could go to look at getting done! Thanks for the s6 link too, I love their iPhone covers on there, there's some great designs! Didn't even think to consider it, thanks!

RJD
    Thanks, I had no idea that Kens was back open, so hard to keep up with stores reopening! And Photo Gallery is actually the place I got my one and only canvas print done! But it was about $200 :/

I got this here onto canvas:
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...40452256_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by utterlyinlove View Post
    I finally got the chance to go through all the websites suggested
    I'm unsure how to reply to multiple posts, but here goes!

Duncanm
    I only saw frames on the website at first, which I LOVE! Especially the unpainted wood ones! Can you point me in the right direction of canvas prints? I looked it up in the product search but couldn't find anything, or do I sign up for an account before I can do anything ?

I went to sign up for an account and I noticed on the form that it asks for my 'accountant' and 'solicitor' … do I have to be a registered business to have an account with them?
    No registered business required (I don't have one).

If you contact sales@rfa.co.nz they'll send you info on prices and the process to get the image files to them.

Cheers
    Duncan
    Check out my Flickr account through Fluidr