Thread: Nearly worn out my Canon 450D - where to next?

Default Nearly worn out my Canon 450D - where to next?

I am a keen ammy photographer. I do the odd photo shoot for friends and acquaintances for pocket money and did my first wedding this month (OMG, not sure I want to go there again, put SO much pressure on myself that I developed the headache from hell and didn't sleep a wink on the days leading up to the event!). I'm pretty good at what I do but there is so much more I want to try and need to learn - At present I feel that I am not adventurous enough. I am hoping this forum will help inspire me. My technical knowledge is also VERY limited!

Most of my photos are of horses - they are my other passion in life and I have a bit of an eye when it comes to capturing the equine form. As well as stills, I take a lot of action shots (dressage, show jumping, cross country etc.). So far my Canon 450D has performed well for me and I must have taken close to 100 actuations with it now. So, to the point of my post ... (sorry, I tend to waffle).

As I have already said, I have the 450D and with it the Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1 : 3.5-5.6 and Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1 : 4-5.6 kit lenses - I feel that these lenses are now really limiting my ability to really capture the clarity of image that I want to achieve so I wonder what would be my best options lens wise? The camera is still performing adequately so I figured I could buy a new lens and then the new camera body when mine finally does die.

So, considering the bulk of my photos are sports type images of moving horses, quite often at a distance from me, what lens would you recommend for me and why?

Now, here's the rub - I have a budget and it is tight, especially so if I might need to replace my camera soon. I can probably go to $2k tops on my lens and that would definitely be my upper limit.

Feel free to ask me questions and offer advice - any and all gratefully received!! Thank you!

Ooohh we love spending other people's money here!

I'm sure the rest will be along soon with their suggestions. Which if the two lenses do you find you're using more? I'd guess that it's the tele?

Perhaps something like the 70-200mm f2.8L is anoption, you can probably get one from TM for less than $1500

If you want a standard zoom, for similar money you can get a 24-70mm f2.8L

With the change, you can grab the Tameon 17-50mm f2.8 which is about $4-600

Hope that helps!

It all helps randomguy!

Yes, definitely the tele. I only use the other lens for indoor stuff, close-ups and the odd action moment when I am in cramped quarters like a round pen (horse training ring).

And ... what body would people recommend I consider, when the time comes, to replace the 450D? I was contemplating a 7D ... comments?

7D sounds like a good choice for you, you can pick them up for $1700 new, or if you want something cheaper the 60D is only $1200. Would agree with randomguy that you should look into a 70-200 f2.8.
    Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT| Lightroom 5 |

Possibly even the 24-105...although it is a relatively slow lens.

I would agree with the 70-200 though. Had a friend pick one up about a month ago from TradeMe for about 1600.

Just be aware that it's quite a heavy lens!
    | Canon 5D MKII | Canon 16-35 f/2.8L MKII | Manfrotto 190xprob + 496RC2 Ballhead | Hitech Modular Filter Holder + Hitech Filters | Pixel TW-282 Remote |

I agree with Riley a 7D "king 'o' the crops" with fast frame per second- 19 (I think) AF points- magnified eye view-great all rounder for sports acion
    Canon 5D MK II, Canon 7D, Canon 50D , Tamron 75-200mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4,Canon 24-70 2.8L,Tamron 17-50 2.8 Xr Di-II VC,Tamron 18-200,Canon Speedlite 580EXII,Yongnuo 565EX,Orbis ringflash,Seikonic L358,Elinchrom D-Lite 2 go kit,Pixel Pawn triggers, Photoshop,Lightroom.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It helps to know that I am headed in the right direction gear wise. Have been checking out online shopping sites and found 'Expert Infotech Ltd' who seem very reasonably priced. Any opinions/experiences with these guys? Am also happy to buy second hand - Got the 450D with kit lenses second hand 2 years ago and more than happy with the deal I got - find a good trader and second hand is definitely a win:win option

Quote Originally Posted by Louise the Lens View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It helps to know that I am headed in the right direction gear wise. Have been checking out online shopping sites and found 'Expert Infotech Ltd' who seem very reasonably priced. Any opinions/experiences with these guys? Am also happy to buy second hand - Got the 450D with kit lenses second hand 2 years ago and more than happy with the deal I got - find a good trader and second hand is definitely a win:win option
    I have dealt with them and it was a good experiance. Must qualify that with that I have never had to go to them for after sales support.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

I upgraded to the 7D nearly a year ago from the 40D and am loving it to bits, its noise levels at higher ISO (Ive gone up to 1250) are so much better, its so much more responsive and faster and can be readily customised to suit your style of shooting. Its got a fairly steep learning curve but well worth the time and effort.

If it was me I would be seriously considering the 70-200 F4 IS lens, you can get that for around $2k and its SO fast and SHARP and I love mine absolutely to bits. But if you are doing a fair bit of indoor stuff then you may also seriously consider the 2.8 version of the lens, its a lot heavier so a consideration (as well as about $1k more) but if you needed one lens to rule them all, that may well be your baby, and either lens on the 7D will be amazing and last you for YEARS!

If there is somewhere near you who hires lenses, try at least the F4 on you current camera for a weekend, you WILL be amazed, I promise
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

Einfo is generally pretty good, there after sale support is known to be pretty bad and they can take a awhile to send out orders sometimes. If you looking at a 70-200mm also consider Sigma, you can get F2.8 IS sigma lens for the same price as canons F4 IS lens.
    Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT| Lightroom 5 |

7D is a great camera, AF will be definitely be a step up from the 450D. Some horse shots with my 7D:

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...ares-and-Foals

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...Pirongia-Races
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Once again, thanks for the help. The clarity and colour of those horse photos is fantastic. Just so much better than I can get currently. I must get around to uploading some of my photos but inevitably when I come here I am on my netbook and I don't have any of my stuff uploaded. I have stuff on photobucket but not sure I feel brave enough to share it yet.

And, I feel like a complete fool now as have just realised my camera is a 400D ...
    Last edited by Louise the Lens; 23-03-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: repeated myself