Thread: Anyone know what this is?

Default Anyone know what this is?

The large metal rod on the roof, next to the chimney exhaust. I thought it was a lightening rod for the steel roof, but today it has started spewing hot water out. When I turn the hot water on in the house, it stops. I'm thinking some sort of heat conduction rod that has split?

Attachment 11889

It's the pressure relief for the hot water cylinder. If the water in the cylinder gets too hot, it expands and overflows out that pipe. It's a second line of defense. The thermostat should stop heating before it gets to that point and there's a valve that stops water being added to the cylinder when the pressure reaches a cutoff point. Ideally, there would never be anything coming out of that overflow. In practice, it will have a bit of a spit and gurgle every so often. That's normal. If it does it continually, get a plumber to have a look at it.
    I'm not a lawyer or a plumber and my plumbing advice is worth as much as my legal advice.

Yep hot water overflow pipe - had the same issue last year and had to replace the inlet valve under the house cost about $90 with a plumber doing it!

Check the thermostat on the hot water cylinder, 55C is just right they say. Cosey looking place Paul!

Thank you all for the replies, confusing stuff, all this house owning :/