Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry level DSLR and lenses help!

Default Entry level DSLR and lenses help!

Hey! Am looking to buy a decent camera as an investment really, that I can take some decent shots with. I've had point and shoots in the past (a Sony which was amazing but died after 8 years, I was then given last Xmas an Olympus which took absolutely rubbish photos no matter what) but I'd like to take my photo taking skills a bit further now.

My main requirements are:
    good everyday lens for indoor and outdoor shots of people/animals
    landscape shots - distance shots ie farming
    action/wildlife shots - horse sports

So I'm thinking of a Canon 600D with the beginner kit of 18-55mm lens and a 55-250 lens (the latter which has very good reviews online) as well as the lens via redemption which is the 50mm 1.8 lens.

So am I on the right track with lenses etc?

Opinions/suggestions appreciated, thanks!

600D would be a great first camera.

The lenses look good too. My friend bought a 550D last year, bought the 50 f1.8 soon after, then the 55-250mm, and has just recently bought a sigma 17-50 f2.8.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

I'd have to say, based on personal experience, that you may be better off with a point and shoot than a DSLR with kit lenses.

If you are hell bent on the DSLR route seriously consider Nikon, they seem to have beter quality kit lenses than Canon (and I'm a Canon owner).

Buy a DSLR Body and buy your len's seperate as you will later on flick off your kit lenses for better quality ones anyway.I brought the 550D body only,the 600D all you are paying the extra $$$ for is the flip screen thingie whatsit on the 600D everything else is the same....Next.
    Canon 6d, Canon EOS-M ,50mm f1.8,17-40L, 24-105L,100L Macro, Samyang 2.8/14mm, 135mm f3.5 Takumar,EF-M 18-55mm,Manfrotto tripod.

Go the 600d with the twin lens kit to start off. As you get better you can start adding more lenses to your gear.
    All my images are taken on a 600d with Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by stumac View Post
    I'd have to say, based on personal experience, that you may be better off with a point and shoot than a DSLR with kit lenses.

If you are hell bent on the DSLR route seriously consider Nikon, they seem to have beter quality kit lenses than Canon (and I'm a Canon owner).
    All my photo's are taken with kit lenses and I've managed to start selling them (Getty have sold a few of my images at high resolution...some of them up to three times) so they cant be that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Azza View Post
    Go the 600d with the twin lens kit to start off. As you get better you can start adding more lenses to your gear.
    All my images are taken on a 600d with Kit Lens

All my photo's are taken with kit lenses and I've managed to start selling them (Getty have sold a few of my images at high resolution...some of them up to three times) so they cant be that bad
    Okay the gear you use helps a bit, but selling images is all about having the shot subject, composition etc that the buyer wants.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Thanks for the comments.. the camera store I went to didn't have the 550D in stock but had the 600D which was selling for the same price.

Stumac: can I ask why you think a point and shoot would be better? I'm the kind of person who thinks if something is worth doing, its worth doing properly. My best friend and her husband have a Canon and I've seen some great shots come out of it, especially with horses, the delay in clicking and the photo being taken is just too long and you miss the good leg action.

I will have a look into a Nikon but the more options I have the more confused I get!

Here is a photo taken with my 5MP Nokia cellphone tonight, I can only imagine what I could take a great camera!!

Name:  Photo0431%u002525202.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  67.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurhh View Post
    Okay the gear you use helps a bit, but selling images is all about having the shot subject, composition etc that the buyer wants.
    Of course, but the point I'm making is that if the lens was churning out really bad quality then the client wouldnt entertain buying the shot regardless of the composition/subject matter because it would look rubbish in print. Therefore the quality that comes out of the kit lens is reasonably acceptable.

I've read elsewhere that the key to good photos (apart from a good eye) is good lenses. So in terms of a Nikon, would a 3100 be sufficient to begin with - the kit lenses are 18-55 and 55-200. It is 14.2MP in comparison to the Canon's 18MP but I've also heard the higher the pixel doesn't necessarily mean the better the photo

Any thoughts on the 3100 Nikon with 2 x kit lenses vs the Canon 600D with 2 kit lenses and the free one via redemption? TIA

I'd go for the twin kens kit, they don't cost a hell of a lot more then the body alone, and I'm sure you'll get that extra value from the lenses anyway. You can use the kit lenses to decide which more expensive lenses you want to buy later. Also the 50mm 1.8 is well worth having. As for the canon vs. nikon, I haven't really looked at the low end nikon cameras but I can tell you that in the Aoraki Cert/Dip in Digital Photography classes across 4 campuses, 95% of the students buy Canon.
    Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT| Lightroom 5 |

Thank you very much riley989. I had a sleepless night thinking about cameras (as I do when I've set my mind on something!) so I will head out in my lunchbreak to part with some of our wedding cash

Ok.. so I went out prepared to part with the best part of $2000 and had a job to do first, went to the camera shop 2nd (on my 1 hour lunchbreak) and the salesman said he's been through the same process as me and chose the Sony SLT-A55 as it a better camera overall!
    So now I'm well confused, and I was running over my lunch break (and am not a spontaneous shopper) so I left with nothing while I think it over

What say the experts?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Sony_SLT-A55

Think you have a lot more selection of lenses with Canon,have a look on trade me i think sony dslr's use minolta lense's.
    Canon 6d, Canon EOS-M ,50mm f1.8,17-40L, 24-105L,100L Macro, Samyang 2.8/14mm, 135mm f3.5 Takumar,EF-M 18-55mm,Manfrotto tripod.

The salesman did say there were 162 lenses with Canon and 92 with Sony, but I really don't think I'll be investing in quite that many! My main hobby is and always will be horses which are expensive enough

Canon or Nikon, you can't go wrong with either to be honest.

Personally when we started photography, we went for Canon and haven't looked back. All our photography friends used Canon so it was easy to borrow lenses and accessories to try out before committing to buy anything.

Sony have some great low end stuff, but are lacking a bit in the high end in terms of range. You won't find many pro's shooting sony, however they haven't been in the game anywhere near as long as Nikon/Canon.

Also a wee note, 4 people in my class last year had sony camera's, 2 switched to cannon and 1 to nikkon half way through the year, and the other dropped out.
    Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT| Lightroom 5 |

OK I am a horse person too but been without horses for a while, but I have some shots up here http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=2008...q=horse&m=text

Anyway the key thing with horses is you will need a decent fast zoom, for if you want to get them in action in an arena, or if you want to stalk them (otherwise you end up with lots of shots of horse noses as they investigate your gear LOL)

Given that I would invest in the best lens you can get, and when I was doing this the lens of choice was the Canon 70-200 F4IS L - its around $2k by itself but once you try it you will totally love it. And a better lens makes ALL the diff. It will go on the bodies you looked at 550/600D no probs.

Dont buy to price, buy to what you need because I think chucking $2000 on something that may only be half as good as what you need is a bit of a waste!
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post

Dont buy to price, buy to what you need because I think chucking $2000 on something that may only be half as good as what you need is a bit of a waste!
    See this is where I need help as I know next to nothing abut DSLRs! The salesman said for children and animals and action shots the Sony perfoms better as it does 10fps rather than 3.. he also said I could take the Sony home and bring it back if I didn't like it but as I don't have anything to compare it to I wouldn't know anyway. It also has image stabilisation in the camera as well as a paroramic mode and auto focusing in the video mode

ETA: Gorgeous arabs by the way!!

Another post.. sorry but when I set my mind on something I go at it until its sorted!!

I found this forum thread http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1710574 which has a heap of info.. the 3rd last post by Schmegg is very compelling. I have the feeling that in terms of versatility and variety the Canon is going to be the best buy for me due to the fact it comes with 3 lenses rather than the Nikon's two and the Sony's one. Canon and Nikon have been market leaders in DSLRs for years and considering I won't be making a career change to photography any time soon I really can't go wrong with either.

Unless your going to a camera store, you can probably ignore the advice of any electronic stores sales people.

If its a sony doing 10fps then it is probably one of the new transparent mirror cameras, technically there not DSLR's as the mirror doesn't move. To be honest, going from a point and shoot, any of these options is probably going to seem amazing to you in comparison. I think the sony cameras a great choice for someone who wants DSLR quailty but is probably never going to outgrow the kit lenses.

If you looking to get more serious and chuck some real money at it, look at a canon or nikon. Also agreed that most of the 70-200 lens are amazing, have personally used the canon 70-200 f4 is and the sigma 70-200 F2.8 IS.

I'd still recommend grabbing the kit lenses first though and upgrading to some nice new glass once you've got a grasp on DSLR's, and had more time to learn, and look at all the options available.

Also, I didn't read this right through so I can't confirm it's accuracy, (http://www.twin-pixels.com/how-to-ch...r-buyer-guide/) but it might help you decipher some of the DSLR lingo.

Quote Originally Posted by riley989 View Post
    Unless your going to a camera store, you can probably ignore the advice of any electronic stores sales people.
    It was a camera store! I went there for the best advice over an electronics store..

Would the Sony with the one 18-200 lens offer me as much scope and learning as the Canon with 3 lenses?

Probably. the 18-200 covers almost as much as the 2 kit lenses together (also means less lens changes). The sony Version of the 50mm is only about $190 anyway if you want one.

I see... And I thought horses were confusing!! lol

Not my arabs but yes lovely horses. I need to go back out and spend some time with them again

I have been where you are, about 3 years ago, I knew what I wanted to do but I didnt know what tools I would need to achieve it so I researched and researched and researched. The key things I learned were:

Its all about the glass, in this day and age an entry level body will do a far better job than most first timers can stuff up, but the glass REALLY makes the difference.

If you invest in good glass it will outlast body technology, ie if you are on a budget get the best glass you can afford, and save the money at the body end. Bodies overall are cheaper and you can tradein or upgrade in a couple of years if you get really serious.

Kit lenses included with the bodies offer average level of quality and performance, its a good way to get your foot in the door for sure, but I learned the hard way there is a HUGE difference between average glass and good glass (and even bigger jump up to AWESOME glass, which I cant afford)

I dont regret the choices I made initially, because I researched well beforehand, but until you actually try the kit and see what it gives you, you won't know in advance where it will let you down. There are some places you can hire kit, you could try that once you narrow it down to your final options and finally commit your big bux?

It is a really hard decision, and as a beginner without context to work with it feels like a really scary way to waste a lot of money. You sound committed to making a decision, the best advise I can give is to find a good camera store (where are you in NZ?) and look at DP review and also Fred Miranda - I consider them places who do good rounded balanced reviews, and the Fred Miranda site allows users to make comments, and those are really interesting to read through as well to get an idea of what other real people think
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog