Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D-Photo Nikon Amateur Photographer of the Year 2012

When i see the images submitted ..it's like this in most competitions.. the point and shoot people having a go and why shouldn't they , we all came from somewhere ... Then i see the next images and say frig .."call yourself an amateur " You cannot please everybody all of the time ...and i enter for fun..however Arthur i can see where you are coming from and the people with lots of entries will be have some removed . I'm fine with that

The Terms and Conditions link on the submit entry page seems to be broken...took me to a 404 Page Not Found. May want to fix that
    | Canon 5D MKII | Canon 16-35 f/2.8L MKII | Manfrotto 190xprob + 496RC2 Ballhead | Hitech Modular Filter Holder + Hitech Filters | Pixel TW-282 Remote |

Hmm. It needs a trailing slash /
    I'll sort it out.

Yep, I've entered twice. But so has almost everyone last the last few days...
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    Yep, I've entered twice. But so has almost everyone last the last few days...
    If it's twice but the same image is showing that's just a glitch that I think we've ironed out. It's still only one entry.

But twice as good!
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Three times and your camera gets crushed.

Yeah well Rob , just as well i enter for some challenge and fun because i know when you enter my chances of getting a look in are mighty slim indeed , especially if you go for the twice as good method haha ! I've just submitted my last one ... did the lot ..all bases covered

You'd be surprised, the judges picks can be very.......interesting sometimes.
    Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX's ST-E3-RT| Lightroom 5 |

It could be but I think this time at least we can expect some level of quality from the judging!

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    If it's twice but the same image is showing that's just a glitch that I think we've ironed out. It's still only one entry.
    That is not a case of deliberate entry of more than one image thats a case of the site allowed the same image twice.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Well I've just been thumbing through the winners and there are some cracking photos. I didn't rcognise any of the names but if you do post on here - congratulations. If you are a winner and just a lurker on here - we want to see more of your photos!!!
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

Its out?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Well I've just been thumbing through the winners and there are some cracking photos. I didn't rcognise any of the names but if you do post on here - congratulations. If you are a winner and just a lurker on here - we want to see more of your photos!!!
    Is it online somewhere, couldnt find it on DPHOTO site
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

It's only on the magazine. Mine arrived yesterday...?
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's only on the magazine. Mine arrived yesterday...?
    Same. I think it's officially out tomorrow. Some of the winning/runner-up photos are amazing. Others left me scratching my head a bit....

I was just flicking through the rest of the mag and saw a few of us (Stic, Arthur, and myself) were quoted from various threads in the forum. That was a bit of a surprise!

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgin View Post
    Same. I think it's officially out tomorrow. Some of the winning/runner-up photos are amazing. Others left me scratching my head a bit....

I was just flicking through the rest of the mag and saw a few of us (Stic, Arthur, and myself) were quoted from various threads in the forum. That was a bit of a surprise!
    Bloody hell dont tell me that my waffle is actually now a published statement, what had I said?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurhh View Post
    Bloody hell dont tell me that my waffle is actually now a published statement, what had I said?
    Something about Photoshop being like fine sandpaper to finish off a wooden sculpture rather than a creative process on its own. This was in the thread about the Creative section of the competition.

Flickr

Flickr

I have just received my copy of D-Photo I was amazed to see I was runner up in the motion category.......... do the runners up receive any prizes? a subscription to D-photo perhaps, or even a certificate??

Check out my FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/allanj...70413333020834

What are everyone's thoughts on the winners and runners up?

I thought the overall winner was a fairly interesting shot. The low perspective gets me a bit, but I guess that's one of the things that makes it stand out.

I love Joy Kachina's runner up shot in the Travel category, that would be my favourite of the lot.

The winning Landscape shot is pretty nice, but the runners up..... scratching my head a bit over those.

As for the People's Choice awards..... well I think I was right in saying that winning would have nothing to do with photography....

Flickr

Is there an overall winner?

Mark Bridgwater's category winning shot for Motion is ace. Though because of the lighting/shutter speed it doesnt actually show any motion!?! Still great shot. John Hayes shot is ace, as is Allan Jones's one. Good category.

As you say, the landscape winner is OK, the other landscapes left me a bit stumped too, especially the seascape, its OK but I see(for me) better seascapes on a daily basis. I'm sure my top 3-4 would have been quite different here.

Graeme Skinner should have walked the monochrome category with that pylon shot - considering we have a people/portrait section also.

People category seems full of peoples kids.. Oh and a biker, always a good subject. winner is nicely lit though.

Still cant see what the creative winner is off, or why? Mebe it prints better?

I like Joy Kachinas runners up shot also (in Travel) great feel to it. The other two travel shots are good nat geo style.

Peoples choice? Oh who has the most friends choice? What a waste of time.

The Peoples Choice is just a popularity contest. I don't see how it fits into a serious photo comp.

I really do not "GET" the winner of the creative category, maybe there should be captions and a description next to the images? maybe it would make sense if it was explained.

Personally, I would debate some of the pictures that have been selected, but then everyone has there own personal taste. I really really liked John Hayes 'runner up' motion image, I loved it. I also liked the image of the winner of the peoples category - those eyes, they so captivating. Lastly the other picture that for some reason caught my eye was, surprisingly, one of the peoples choice, it was the one with the yellow flower in the background to what seems to be a lake. It just gave me the warm fuzzies.