Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light-stands and mounts - for camera external flashes.

Yep without assistants they do have pluses.

Surely some of the big lights isn't that expensive. You could go manual speedlights but when the SB800 was in NZ they costed up to $900, I got mine overseas ..
    The thing is if you are photographing people they don't have a lot of patience for you to do test shots LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    Yep without assistants they do have pluses.

Surely some of the big lights isn't that expensive. You could go manual speedlights but when the SB800 was in NZ they costed up to $900, I got mine overseas ..
    The thing is if you are photographing people they don't have a lot of patience for you to do test shots LOL.
    The initial cost is not that high, but the lack of portability soon adds a cost burden, the need for power cables etc brings on more cost as it becomes almost impossible to do some of my stuff without assistance.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Yep certainly

But in general from all the people who have them, I think most people don't use them outside. For indoor use like at home or in a studio, big lights have a lot of advantages. Some of the children/wedding people I know who work as full or part time that once was just a hobby. They tended to go v light given the fast PJ style they might just have 2 speedlights with a little wee softener attachment with bungy cords or bookshelf clippers or something or just bounce where they can and leave all the stands back home.

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    Cheers for that and all the others

Isn't buying these bulky stuff from the USA expensive to ship here?
    May have a look at Photoshack if I can get a one light setup for half that, might be a good price as it is more/less like the USA.

Anyone did high key images with these and you opinion? White backdrops, white or black dress eg ...

Yes, I don't need the triggers, have commander mode althou could be handy on my D2h as well ...
    Some stuff you can get with free delivery, especially the stuff on ebay out of Asia.

If you want to start cheap, check out Yongnuo YN-560II flashes on ebay. Pretty much the same power as SB900/580EX for $100 NZD. No TTL so all manual, but good for slaves. I've just got one and so far its all good. Add these, a stand and an umbrella, and you've got a simple off camera setup for about $200-250 NZD.