Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dissecting the lighting

Default Dissecting the lighting

With the hopes of this being an educational discussion thread, and off the back of my studio shots thread I propose:

1. Post a portrait for discussion of lighting technique and critique
    2. Three to four people propose how they think the lighting was set up and give a basic critique of that particular shot, including (if appropriate) room for improvement.
    3. The person who initiated the post for crit then lets the cat out of the bag and details their lighting set-up.

Simple?

I will post the first one (you've seen enough of my portraits, so here is someone elses that I know the lighting set-up)

One big light just to the right and a lot up.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    One big light just to the right and a lot up.
    ....... and your critique of the technique and overall image?

For me way to flat needs more contrast across the face for one, background is dull, needs a kicker on the left.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

As above but with a background light, all a bit too bright for me.

^This....plus I suspect a couple of reflectors around chest area as I see them reflected in the eyes which I don't really like.
    Lighten up!
    I shoot with Canon EOS 500 & 6D, EFS17-55 f2.8, EF35L f1.4, EF135L f2, Speedlites 580EX II & 430EX II.

A team effort!

I reckon this is 'broad lighting' with a silver reflector and separate background lighting.
    If you look close you can see the tri-reflector in her eyes

Attachment 12098

This is the explanation diagram, ,however, I reckon it is actually wrong in that the model is rotated about 15 degrees clockwise.

OK, nice one, who is next to post an image? Can be your own or someone elses (just make it clear whos it is), would be nice to have a lighting diagram available for the explanation.

OOOOOOOOK

I'll post the next one as well then

Again not mine.

Attachment 12099

Looks like a simple brolly up on the left and another behind on the right also splilling onto the mid tone background about 1 1/2 stops less. Much my usual head and shoulder for the business photos I do regularly.
    Nice clean open.

I use a large rectangular softbox though and a largeish dish light with barndoors for the fill one. Sometimes a hairlight from above if the person has dark hair, not usually with blondes though, too many escaping hairs.

Here's that young lawyer I posted a while ago in mono, I've done a few more since, I'll add them from work tomorrow.
    You can guess mine.

Name:  lawyer.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.3 KB
    Last edited by Jos; 18-04-2012 at 07:14 PM.

The lighting set-up for the previous image is a bit more complex than that Jos;-

Attachment 12101Attachment 12101Attachment 12102

Too complicated for real life making a living job. Although I often use a large sheet of white foamcore to fill the right side as above.
    Here are a few shots done recently using much the same set up

another lawyer

Name:  Angela-02-small.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  100.9 KB

economic development manager, the softbox further to the left and more to the side, makes strong men's light

Name:  John-Galbraith-07.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  110.7 KB

CEO of District council

Name:  Marty-Grenfell-09.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  70.9 KB

Audiologist

Name:  Angela-07.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  89.8 KB
    Last edited by Jos; 19-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.

nice diagrams Paul!!!!
    Canon 5D MK II, Canon 7D, Canon 50D , Tamron 75-200mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4,Canon 24-70 2.8L,Tamron 17-50 2.8 Xr Di-II VC,Tamron 18-200,Canon Speedlite 580EXII,Yongnuo 565EX,Orbis ringflash,Seikonic L358,Elinchrom D-Lite 2 go kit,Pixel Pawn triggers, Photoshop,Lightroom.

wheres a good source for the foam core?
    Canon 5D MK II, Canon 7D, Canon 50D , Tamron 75-200mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4,Canon 24-70 2.8L,Tamron 17-50 2.8 Xr Di-II VC,Tamron 18-200,Canon Speedlite 580EXII,Yongnuo 565EX,Orbis ringflash,Seikonic L358,Elinchrom D-Lite 2 go kit,Pixel Pawn triggers, Photoshop,Lightroom.

We are supposed to be guessing the lighting Jos, you keep letting the cat out of the bag!

Foam core is really expensive, I bought some from Office Ware house and it was $20+ per sheet (here in Thames)

I use a piece that is oversize, ie twice the size of normal mat board so it can do full length fill, costs me about $32 a sheet. I have one side painted black to remove light.
    Lasts for years though.

OK here's another recent pic
    What's the lighting here then

Name:  Tame-04.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  124.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FTOWRX View Post

PSP plastics in Albany.

www.psp.co.nz

It is quite expensive unless you have an account. There trade clients would get a fairly reasonable discount I would imagine.

I just bought some 5mm Ultra Mount to mount some prints onto. When I got to their office, I saw a sign stating that they had some damaged product at heavily discounted prices. I bought a couple of 2400 x 1200 sheets for $22.00 each when they are normally about $97.00. The sheets have some edge damage but nothing that cant be cut off.

Question for you Jos; any recommendations on a reasonably priced adhesive for photo mounting (other than the expensive 3M Photo Mount?)

(Sorry for being off topic)

Is it coming out of his a#$e??

Quote Originally Posted by bigROBOTbill View Post
    OK here's another recent pic
    What's the lighting here then
    I would say brightly lit room with a window??

One rectangular softbox slightly to camera left above head height.
    Second light (softbox?) on camera right 90ish degrees to subject.
    One background light.
    Lighten up!
    I shoot with Canon EOS 500 & 6D, EFS17-55 f2.8, EF35L f1.4, EF135L f2, Speedlites 580EX II & 430EX II.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vuleta View Post
    Question for you Jos; any recommendations on a reasonably priced adhesive for photo mounting (other than the expensive 3M Photo Mount?)
    (Sorry for being off topic)
    I have been very happy with 3 or 5 mm foam core with re positionable adhesive ( seems to be the same price), it allows for a lift off and redo before becoming strong after rolling of pressing. I'm afraid there are no cheap worthwhile options. For it to last and look good it all has to be of a certain quality. it's not that much more than normal foam core either. Have a chat with a local picture framer and see if they will get some in for you at a reasonable mark up.

Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    One rectangular softbox slightly to camera left above head height.
    Second light (softbox?) on camera right 90ish degrees to subject.
    One background light.
    There's also an overhead light you can see in the hair and reflected in the gloves
    Nikon D700. Nikon 16mm, 50mm and 85mm 1.8, 105mm Macro and 24-85, 80-200

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenz

The strangest thing when using the Photoshop b&w adjustments I can remove his moko like it was never there, he looks like a different person!

I had Ken Mair in a few days later for more boxing shots, really nice in guy, as is Tame in person.
    I photographed Tame's son years ago, he was a jazz musician in New York at the time.

Pick the lighting here...

Name:  yvonne1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  136.1 KB
    “If you find yourself saying I’ll fix it in Photoshop, stop and slap yourself in the face, because you’re being lazy”

---------------
    http://www.ctphotography.co.nz
    Camera's include Nikon D7000 plus a 1897 Lancaster Instantograph which still works and a Leica miniature (Minox) digital camera.

Quote Originally Posted by FTOWRX View Post
    I was in Three Brothers (Panmure) this morning and they had some (again, not 1st class condition). They had 5mm white 2400 x 1200 sheets for around $49.00.

http://www.threebrothers.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Photocol View Post
    Pick the lighting here...
    Gelled on camera flash (possibly with stofen or some other form of diffuser)