Thread: Advice on Photographing

Exclamation Advice on Photographing

Hi All Photographers

I really need some advice, I am going to be photographing Fire Volunteers at like 7pm on Monday for The New Zealand Photography Society competition and maybe for their magazine.

I have a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens i do have a 70-300mm lens but that's getting some work done to it.

The Question is: I would like to know what camera settings i should set my camera on I prefer using manual but if i have to convert to use a another setting i will, there will be no tripod allowed as i am sort of like a journalist taking heaps photos and moving all over the place...

But please i need to know by Saturday :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh Thompson View Post
    Hi All Photographers

I really need some advice, I am going to be photographing Fire Volunteers at like 7pm on Monday for The New Zealand Photography Society competition and maybe for their magazine.

I have a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens i do have a 70-300mm lens but that's getting some work done to it.

The Question is: I would like to know what camera settings i should set my camera on I prefer using manual but if i have to convert to use a another setting i will, there will be no tripod allowed as i am sort of like a journalist taking heaps photos and moving all over the place...

But please i need to know by Saturday :-)
    If you're not sure of the settings to use then the auto modes will keep you 'in the ballpark' .
    With the D3100 auto iso keeps working when flash is used which means no unpleasant surprises so I would recommend :
    Program mode - allows you to choose if you want to use flash or not and automatically adjusts for varying conditions .
    Matrix metering is most consistent .
    Auto iso : set at minimum 1/125th sec shutter speed.You can fix noise but you can't fix motion blur .
    Flash : if you have an external flash use it in TTL-BL mode and use bounce flash if possible .
    Keeping the lens at 18mm where possible will allow your lens to use its widest aperture of F3.5 to capture more light .

Another good place to learn , especially with a Nikon is nikoncafe

Last edited by Desmond; 18-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

BigRobotBill might be of some help:

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...from-yesterday
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by mesodan View Post
    BigRobotBill might be of some help:

http://www.hellophoto.co.nz/showthre...from-yesterday
    Ha, I remember that!

Though that's not the sort of photos he's expected to take.

My advice is to set the camera to P with center weighted metering and largest file size (raw if available). Have a look at what you are getting and adjust if way wrong.

You dont know what settings to use yet you are shooting for the New Zealand Photography Society competition ?

Sorry..

7pm I assume then it will be dark so you will probably need flash and a fastish lens and/or high ISO. If you only have an onboard flash then the shots will look like bad party shots whatever.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by bigROBOTbill View Post
    Ha, I remember that!

Though that's not the sort of photos he's expected to take.

My advice is to set the camera to P with center weighted metering and largest file size (raw if available). Have a look at what you are getting and adjust if way wrong.

Thanks so much for your help, i was just going to ask you about this since you have done something like it.