Thread: Recommendations on type of filters to buy...

Default Recommendations on type of filters to buy...

Hi Folks,
    I'm sure there are heaps of you out there with this dilemma.
    I have 4 lenses, each with a different diameter. Grrrr...
    So if I wanted a filter to use for all of them I will have to purchase one for each diameter which can prove costly.
    So what do people do about this issue?
    A work around and cheaper option is to use Cokin P Series and get adaptors for each diameter.

Anyone else have any other solutions?

Thanks
    Kev.

Get the one for the largest lens and then step up rings for the rest?

Cokin P are slot in filters so that shouldn't be a problem. You just need different sized holder rings.

Flickr

I use a cokin P system with a cokin cpl and hitech 85mm filters.

I think I am moving to 100mm Lee soon tho
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Hi rjd, so I gather the Cokin P Series only goes up to 85mm square, so for the Lee filters, does Cokin have a filter holder for 100mm or does Lee have their own specific system similar to Cokin?

Cokin, hitech and lee all do 100mm systems, cokin have a 130mm one and I think theres a 150mm hitech one too ($$$$).

With the P stuff and 85mm filters even with the wide angle filter holder you get the hoilder in shot on wide stuff (10-12mm, on my 17-55 at 17-18mm etc)
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.