Thread: Waxing and waning creativity

Default Waxing and waning creativity

Do you other guys and gals get that? Sometimes it all just flows and sometimes the tank is all dried up? I seem to go through 3 monthly cycles.
    I'm down in a bit of a trough at the moment, hardly touched a camera all this month, not because I've been too busy or anything, I've just had no desire or initiative to do so. I guess I could never be a professional or commercial photographer as I find it creatively difficult to 'jump' when told to do so. On the other hand, I did just build a new chicken coop and run from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    ................. on the other hand, I did just build a new chicken coop and run from scratch ........
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

Do you other guys and gals get that? Sometimes it all just flows and sometimes the tank is all dried up? I seem to go through 3 monthly cycles.
    I'm down in a bit of a trough at the moment, hardly touched a camera all this month, not because I've been too busy or anything, I've just had no desire or initiative to do so. I guess I could never be a professional or commercial photographer as I find it creatively difficult to 'jump' when told to do so. On the other hand, I did just build a new chicken coop and run from scratch
    Your not alone there, at the moment I find its a bad day if I haven't taken a few frames, but in a month or so I will probably hardly take a single frame in the month.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Yep - all the time. can go a couple months without shooting much at all then a month or two of intense action. Well as intense as landscapes get.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

I think I have bi-polar creativity, i'll go out and take some pictures of the finished chook house

Attachment 12185
    This was version 1.0, the idea was to have a chook house and run big enough to house 3 chickens. I bought this as a flat pack from a place up in Auckland, I added the skis and the flowerbed on the top. These are sold to house from 4 to 6 chickens...... After a few hours of having the chickens, I quickly realised it would be a very cruel future for my 3 chicks to live their lives in here, so they have since free ranged, using this contraption to sleep in. I 'happened upon' a neighbours cat cornering one of the chicks a few weeks ago, no harm done, but I decided it was time to build something bigger and more robust.

Attachment 12187
    My DIY skills are questionable, and I was basically making it up as I went along....

Attachment 12186
    The hen house turned out to be rather robust and heavy, I was quite pleased with the rustic look.

Attachment 12188

Attachment 12189

Attachment 12190

Attachment 12191

Attachment 12192

Attachment 12193
    Here are some shots of the Hen house in place as of tonight under this supermoon everyone is banging on about. The hen house opens into a closed run, which has a pulley system to open a door to let them free range further.

Cool stuff, Paul. Are you sure you haven't done this kind of thing before?

My sis has got a 'version 1.0'. She let the 3 chooks out for a run around their section back in Xmas, came back in the afternoon, and the neighbours small yappy dog was standing there with a blood stained grin.
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Can't wait to see the photos of you and the chooks in the Mk1 coop at Whakapapa.

back to the creativity, I have def had several dry spots, esp since the quake. Mostly its due to all the brain power being sucked up by something with more priority at the time. I let it ride for a bit, and try to keep an eye out for inspiration to take the camera out. My biggest issue at the moment is I have heaps of shots to process but havent seriously sat down at LR for AGES
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

CWyatt Guest

Yes absolutely. But I just keep shooting anyway.

My DIY skills are questionable, and I was basically making it up as I went along....

Attachment 12186
    Hmmm, errr ...you're quite different to your avatar aren't you Paul (or is it Pauline???)

I think Pauls more used to pointing fingers at assistants..
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Yep, although, I would have thought that he/she would be more safety conscious.

Looks like an untagged extension lead, probably not suited to outdoor use, RCD in use Paul??

Doesn't look like any ear plugs/muffs/safety glasses/safety shoes (or any shoes for that matter)

Areas of unprotected skin exposed to NZ's harsh sun. Go on, rub some lotion on there!!

At least he's got the additional handle on the electric drill but why you would want one for such a small drill-bit is beyond me.

Other than the above indiscretions, overall pass mark on the chook houses. When are you going to buy them??

Teehee Paul ,your place is starting to look like the commune that got me to live in Whitianga years ago. Your chook house looks a tad more up market though. I always have my point and shoot camera in my bag should i fancy just a quick shot .Lately i have not gone on any specific photography expeditions .. Auckland this weekend ..readers and writers fest ..street photography calls me i think .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vuleta View Post
    Yep, although, I would have thought that he/she would be more safety conscious.

Looks like an untagged extension lead, probably not suited to outdoor use, RCD in use Paul??

Doesn't look like any ear plugs/muffs/safety glasses/safety shoes (or any shoes for that matter)

Areas of unprotected skin exposed to NZ's harsh sun. Go on, rub some lotion on there!!

At least he's got the additional handle on the electric drill but why you would want one for such a small drill-bit is beyond me.

Other than the above indiscretions, overall pass mark on the chook houses. When are you going to buy them??
    I was just letting her have a go

Here are a few in chronological order, first ones probably taken 3 months ago

Attachment 12201

Attachment 12202

Attachment 12203

Attachment 12204

Attachment 12205

Attachment 12206

Attachment 12207

Attachment 12208

Attachment 12209