Thread: Dust - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS

Default Dust - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS

Does anyone have one of these?

Mine gets full of dust under the end/last lens/element. if only i knew how to take the end off. would i be too brave doing this? has anyone cleaned one before?

Thanks
    Craig

Have you had a price from Canon or a shop ? You may find that it's not worth the drop of sweat that will inevitably land on the next element down.

No price yet. may take it down this weekend and find out if they can do it in a day

I'm sure it can be cleaned relatively easily but is it really worth it? I had one of these for a while and the dust never bothered me. What aperture are you shooting at? Most of the time you won't even notice the impact and when you can see then its easy to correct in post.
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

i just got a cheap one off trade me because there is a small spot of fungus on one of the elements. you cant see it on the photos but i don't wont it to get worse. i was told it would cost at-least $150 to send it off and get it cleaned. any one knows where is good to go for this?

ow and if you look at the sliver ring on the front i think there's 4 small screws that hold the front element on. i don't know for sure but you may be able to just undo these and it pops off???

You wont see the dust. it wont affect image quality. chill out and take some pics.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by jex_the_bug View Post
    i just got a cheap one off trade me because there is a small spot of fungus on one of the elements. you cant see it on the photos but i don't wont it to get worse. i was told it would cost at-least $150 to send it off and get it cleaned. any one knows where is good to go for this?
    I got an old lens cleaned by photo and video in Merivale. They did a good job and the price was reasonable.
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

Quote Originally Posted by jex_the_bug View Post
    ... any one knows where is good to go for this?
    Hard to say when your location isn't filled in.

sorry im in Queenstown, i guess i will have to send it away.

Anything to Canon is an up front $135 on your card, then they will phone you if they need more.

stic Guest

No dust problems with mine...had it from new though...

Tried this lens at WRC rally this weekend - excellent. Love the push/pull zoom function, allowed me to follow the cars nicely whilst adjusting focal length! Now just have to persuade her indoors that this is a required piece for camera case!

duncan Guest

for those looking at dismantling their own: Parts catalog Here shows the bits...

I've got some photo's I've squirrelled away of the efforts of someone who did their own repair to show what it looks like in real-life (will post 'em if anyone's interested)

In reality it probably would take mud immersion for crap to be really noticeable on the front element...