Thread: Vital signs

Default Vital signs

Messing around with light and cameras tonight and I find this shot amusing.

Not sure what is more important:

Sats = 97%
    BP 119/57
    HR = 74

or

50mm
    f/0.95
    Last edited by Paul.; 08-07-2012 at 12:34 PM.

..having both eyes open while focussing now that's style. Suppose some people can do that ...

Pity about the writing on your hand [ or does it mean something regarding 'vital signs' ?]- it is an interesting shot
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

Now that I like, and I am not a B&W fan.

The Vital signs Title the Bracelet the Old camera (Which you not holding level) and the notes on the hand, such a web of composition it is wonderful.
    Mind you if I didn't know your part of the medical profession it might have had less meaning.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
    Pity about the writing on your hand [ or does it mean something regarding 'vital signs' ?]- it is an interesting shot
    It is a 92 year old patients vital signs from earlier in the day.
    Oxygen saturations = 97%
    Blood pressure = 119/57
    Pulse rate = 74

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurhh View Post
    Now that I like, and I am not a B&W fan.
    I've read this alot from you Arthur lately, maybe you are slowly converting!

The Vital signs Title the Bracelet the Old camera (Which you not holding level) and the notes on the hand, such a web of composition it is wonderful.
    Mind you if I didn't know your part of the medical profession it might have had less meaning.
    The Bracelet was given to me a few months ago an I haven't taken it off, I am an adopted Chiefs fan (apparently!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    ..having both eyes open while focussing now that's style. Suppose some people can do that ...
    It's actually really difficult (and nauseating) with a rangefinder

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    It is a 92 year old patients vital signs from earlier in the day.
    Oxygen saturations = 97%
    Blood pressure = 119/57
    Pulse rate = 74
    ok
    Shooting with Nikon D40 , D50 , 2 X D90 , 2X SB800 2 X SB24 1 X SB400 . Tarmon 17-50 F2.8 , Tamron 28-75 F2.8 Nikon 35mm F1.8 50mm F1.8 , 85mm F1.8 , 18-200VR , 18-105 VR , 70-200VR , Fuji F31fd .
    http://desmond-downs.blogspot.co.nz/...-depth-of.html

how do you know he has the other eye open Lia?

Cracker shot Paul, very crisp conversion.

Did you take the shot? (and flip in PS later)

I really like the B&W treatment (I was messing around with b&w yesterday and found it tricky to get realistic tones
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

Name:  bp.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  18.5 KB

BP 199/57
    Why does that make me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Name:  bp.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  18.5 KB

Why does that make me nervous.
    The writing it on my hand? or the actual figures?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Did you take the shot? (and flip in PS later)

I really like the B&W treatment (I was messing around with b&w yesterday and found it tricky to get realistic tones
    It was taken with the 5DII pre-focused and on a timer, under a beauty dish (new modifier i am messing around with, hence the picture)

The writing it on my hand? or the actual figures?
    The transcription.

I'd be proud of a blood pressure of 119/57!

I've read this alot from you Arthur lately, maybe you are slowly converting!
    Paul I guess I do not take to B&W because I do not have an artistic education [But I have a significant technical education] and as such I do not see B&W as a good representation of most subjects when colour is available. Being a technical and fiscal tech type I have a world of exactatuides to address,
    I am going to address my sight on shots from being just dynamic range of the image to approaching it in terms of the tone and contrast I can achieve, this may make me take shots that I do not consider valuable in colour but possible for B&W I am not sure that I have this approach right but I am sure that senior members of this forum will point me correctly

It is really hard to take a tech approach and apply an artistic approach, The two are so far apart.

God there has to be something good about the f8 and be there approach.

BTW ignore the guys having a go at your 197/119 fopar its envie of your skills and fiscal ability to have nice cameras.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

BTW ignore the guys having a go at your 197/119 fopar its envie of your skills and fiscal ability to have nice cameras.
    Bollocks !
    Paul made a transcription oops and given the context, it was worthy of a one line prod with a smiley. Nothing more.
    I was going to say that I'd be happy with either of those vitals (especially at 92) but when I quoted the original, I saw that the BP had gone up 80mm.

Ah, I get it now, I totally missed that I had written 199 .... :/

Paul I guess I do not take to B&W because I do not have an artistic education [But I have a significant technical education] and as such I do not see B&W as a good representation of most subjects when colour is available. Being a technical and fiscal tech type I have a world of exactatuides to address,
    I am going to address my sight on shots from being just dynamic range of the image to approaching it in terms of the tone and contrast I can achieve, this may make me take shots that I do not consider valuable in colour but possible for B&W I am not sure that I have this approach right but I am sure that senior members of this forum will point me correctly

It is really hard to take a tech approach and apply an artistic approach, The two are so far apart.

God there has to be something good about the f8 and be there approach.

Arthur, the idea is to get to know the technical stuff so that you can take a photo without having to give it too much thought. Once this becomes instinctive, you are then left with more time to think about the "Art". If you are comfortable about getting the technical/exposure correct, then don't sweat it

Oh, and I'm with SteveB - you completely missed the point of his comment - a simply tongue in cheek remark about the good Doctor transposing a vital statistic. Some friendly advice about internet ettiquette - if you are unsure about the translation/attitude of what is written, I always try to give the writer the benefit of the doubt (I know, as I am often "misunderstood" when I write stuff down)
    Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III