Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightroom 4 performance

The problem with LR is you cant assign memory to it like you can in PS, which is a bummer, so it has performance issues there. I certainly dont have any issues other than when the original images are importing, and as commented I think thats more to do with my card reader and card speed. Easy enuf to set it going and go away and do something else for half an hour if its a bit upload.
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

I am using LR4 and Photoshop, a perfect combination(with the odd plugin). I have a good machine, not the best but enough to do what I need. LR gives me no performance problems. Together they are cheaper than one good lens, but I would say invaluable to managing and finishing my images after capture?

My catalogue getting bigger and bit slow compare to the small ones.
    After I did optimise the catalogue, it seems to be working better. Next step may be split the catalogue in smaller unit like project basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    My catalogue getting bigger and bit slow compare to the small ones.
    After I did optimise the catalogue, it seems to be working better. Next step may be split the catalogue in smaller unit like project basis.

My experiance is that so long as you have the drive space free that LR needs a 20k ctolouge is usable.

Why do I have that size, well despite the standard advice of cull all unsatisfactory images I tend to keep them, just so I can look back at the failures and see if I am making the same mistakes again, Storage is cheap.
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurhh View Post
    My experiance is that so long as you have the drive space free that LR needs a 20k ctolouge is usable.

Why do I have that size, well despite the standard advice of cull all unsatisfactory images I tend to keep them, just so I can look back at the failures and see if I am making the same mistakes again, Storage is cheap.
    Yes it is capable to handle quite large number of pictures in one catalogue and I think my behaver is suite simile to you. I find occasional catalogue optimisation process helps in performance side a little ;-)