Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Filters

Default New Filters

Looking around to replace my Cokin P filters. Any suggestions as to NDs and GNDs - thinking about Singh Ray or Hitech. Any decent ones available locally? They seem hard to come by?

Cheers and thanks

I use Hitechs, you can get them on TradeMe now.

Flickr

Thanks Chris! You're obviously happy with them?

I think you'll have to import the Singh Rays from the States unless you can find someone selling them on Trademe, but you'll struggle I reckon. There are loads of Hitechs on Trademe that I've seen.
    Rob (rjd) uses them, but I believe he's going to jump ship to Lee.

I've just switched to Lee. Fantastic, but bloody expensive.
    (If you are interested in Lee at all, Progear has a pretty good supply)
    Last edited by duncanm; 11-08-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Check out my Flickr account through Fluidr

I have the Hitech 2 stop soft and 3 soft hard. Pretty good but they are not 100% the same as 2x digital shots at diff exposures and I doubt any filters will be. V good IMO. The dark part of the grad filter does ehance the sky in a good way.

Not fab images but this was shot with the Hitech 3 stop hard.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3119402...in/photostream

On a totally diff wavelength. For solid NDs.
    These are my filter tests re: the solid NDs ... self explanatory. I have used Hitech solid NDs and B+W Schneiders.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3119402...gs/filtertest/

It could also be affected by the camera's sensor. My Nikon D70 might have quite a weak IR filter so I get the cast easier maybe than a D3x but I have been told a D3x gets a cast still. I have also tried it on a D2h which I have and in a store, a D90 and the same thing happens to a similar degree.

So dunno about solid NDs. I heard the Canons are quite neutral though.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/hitech_...7628872778413/

I have just purchased a Hot Mirror filter which block out IR to a large degree. Not received yet ...

Yep I has hitech.

There OK. Not quite as good as lee (or Singh Rays) but better than everything else.

I'm jumping ship because I need bigger than 85mm, the cokin P system is junk for wide shots, and I may as well get lee.

Some lee (big stopper) are glass and fragile though, also lee dont make reverse grads so that leaves Singh Ray for those.

I have some hitech ND's in 100mm already which I will continue to use.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

As Ray found, the Hitechs aren't 100% netural. Often I find they enhance the colours in the sky, like adding Vibrance filter, which I like. Occasionally they'll have a magenta cast which is a bit of a pain. Also quality isn't that consistent - out of the 10 or so I've bought, I think 2 had a Cokin-like magenta cast which made them unusable, but the price is reasonable so I'll stick with them for now.

Flickr

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your thoughts. I'm thinking Singh Ray - especially for the reverse grad.

Quote Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate your thoughts. I'm thinking Singh Ray - especially for the reverse grad.
    Hitech do reverse grads too.

Incidentally the one Singh Ray I had was their reverse grad. Had a horrible magenta cast but by the time I used it for the first time, it was too long after the purchase to return (they say they will replace any filter that has a cast, within 3 months of purchase or something).

Flickr

Thanks for the Progear tip, I am in AK for 3 1/2 days next week, I might have time to sneak out and visit them
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

Also look at www.phototronic.co.nz for lee. Seem cheaper than progear.
    Canon 5DmkII, 400L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24mmf3.5 TS-E, Canon 70-200f2.8L, Tamron 90mm SP AF Di f2.8 Macro, Sigma 50mmf1.4 EX HSM, Nissin Di866 flash, Manfrotto 190xprob & Markins Q3t head, Lee filters, Lowepro Flipside 400AW, Yong Nuo rf 602 triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgin View Post
    Hitech do reverse grads too.

Incidentally the one Singh Ray I had was their reverse grad. Had a horrible magenta cast but by the time I used it for the first time, it was too long after the purchase to return (they say they will replace any filter that has a cast, within 3 months of purchase or something).
    I was maybe a bit cautious in my write up but ok ...
    I have done trawling on the net about neutral filters. I have not tried myself but I have read that some people say SR is also not neutral but generally speaking is better than the others and maybe more consistent and of course you get the odd one out too.

If you get decent priced to top filters IMO they are alright if you get mild strengths.

I heard that Hoya round solid NDs is quite neutral. The recent square Hitech Pro Stop is better than even Lee (see Flickr forums).
    The Lee big stopper has a blue cast they say. The cheaper older Hitech 4 stop IME has a magenta.
    On B&H's customer review of the Singh Ray's square solid ND - George Lepp they say that also has a magenta cast but not as bad as others they said.
    The B+W round solid NDs which is higher reputable - the 6 stop showed a cast on mine, which they acknowledged to me via email and on their website. For example:
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm...D=679&IID=8110

Because of its higher transmission in the red beyond 660 nm, this filter brings a slightly warm tone to color photographs. If this effect is undesirable, a B+W UV-/IR-Blocking Filter 486 in front of the neutral density filter (not behind it) remedies that situation. The filter factor is 64x.

And it also can be related to your dSLR's sensor too ...
    I asked for a sample picture from SR but never got a reply back.
    Someone was kind enough to send me some samples of the SR's Vari ND (round) filter and that appeared quite neutral but again he might had a D3 or something which has a better IR blocking (internal) filter.

To me, I'm happy with the 2 or 3 stop grad Hitechs. I don't believe even top filters are totally neutral. They IMO might just bit somewhat better.

I had a reply from Bjorn Rorslett who is really renown in the photog community, maybe more with Nikon. He said that IR affects digital and film and even on his D3x. I dunno what sensors cameras these days uses. But I believe that CCD like the Canon 350D is significantly less affected by IR compared to CMOS sensors like the Nikon D70/90/2h IME and from what I read. I have read that maybe some of the Canon cameras are now using CMOS as well .. they have experienced some magenta shift also.

The email reply I got from B+W was 2 situations - filter that has a cast or if the cast is affected by the film or digital sensor.
    If it is affected by the sensor OR film - use a IR cut or Hot Mirror filter. That means no fault of the filter.
    If the filter isn't that neural - use custom WB.

Hopefully I will get to try it out later when I get my Hot Mirror filter.
    Last edited by rayonline; 12-08-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks, Im not sure what all the options are that I need, might give someone a call and ask. The prices are good enough that with exchange rate and international shipping, they are still worth getting in NZ. And I got bitten nastily by customs with some clothing I had arrive last week, so feeling a bit bitter about that too
    Blue Rose - Canon 7D & 50mm F1.8 & 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM & 70-200mm F4 IS L & 10-22 UWA and 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, 580EX II, Manfrotto Tripod legs Tamrac/Lowepro backpacks FLICKR
    LensAddiction - Photography Blog

With the Hitech's on Trademe for $120'ish as a set of 3 grad filters. That's excellent.
    I imported my own Hitech a few yrs ago now I think, each was $40US.

Uh Rayonline that doesnt sound very correct.

350d had a cmos sensor. D70 has a CCD. D2h was some weird thing nikon cooked up themselves not sure how it worked. Not well for sure.

I cant even remember a single canon (slr) camera using a CCD outside of the kodak models at the start.

Though its true that all the 10 stop filters have some slight colour cast I guess you have to live with it and do a custom WB, and try pick the best.

I think I prefer the cool colour on the lee to magenta which IMO is harder to correct.

bought my hitech form teamworkphoto price was ok though didnt get hit with customs.

Think I will source lee in NZ as it seems cheapest when you think about customs ontop.

I am not intune with hardware specs. I stand corrected.
    I know that I get the casts and have tried it on the D70 and D2h that I own and instore with a D90.

Someone on Flickr said that the Canon 350D isn't affected by it ... and if I recall correctly, I read that a person who had a 40D Canon or something had a cast.

Sample pix here. Someone else's. His Nikon D50 is probably on a similar sensor to my D70 hence the almost identical color cast.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/hitech_...7628872778413/

Yup, but I shoot slide film still for viewing on lightbox / projector ....

RE: Hitech Pro Stop vs Lee's Big Stopper. Having not tried either them. The Internet shows that at times the Lee might be better and at other times the opposite.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/thephot...7630281157128/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulo_d...in/photostream
    http://blog.robertstrachan.com/archi...filter-review/

I might think it is easier to shoot without solid NDs and visit the place 20x and to photograph on just one of them so that you can have a calm pristine lake without the filter).

I know people who use both, I have the old hitech 10stop which is a disaster IMO.

Lee I think is better by a bit but more fragile. And more money.

Thanks to you all! Some great replies which just makes my choice a tad harder. Will have a look at Lee this week. Thanks again folks!

I have the hitech 10-stop (the new one with the gasket) and there's definitely a blue cast.

Rob, were your 85 mm's any good with your 10-20 on your 7D or did you have issues? Is it just full frame they are too small for?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlyred View Post
    I have the hitech 10-stop (the new one with the gasket) and there's definitely a blue cast.

Rob, were your 85 mm's any good with your 10-20 on your 7D or did you have issues? Is it just full frame they are too small for?
    I have the 8 stop Hitech with gaskit, and it has no colour cast. Mine are all 100mm and bough direct from the UK at a fraction of the TradeMe Price, but I did have to wait about six weeks.

The optional wallet is useful, but has the disadvantage that if you forget you put it down on a handy rock, you are leaving lots of dollars behind. Only done it once, and it was still there when I went back.

The 3 filter holder was visible up to about 12-13mm on the 7d. Single one was OK(ish, so long as it was square) at 10mm

3 filter holder is much worse on the 5d2/17-40, guessing its slightly wider fov vs the sigma.

I use the 85mm's too and they're fine with the 10-20 as long as you use a slim holder and don't stack multiple filters. If you're starting from scratch and planning to shoot at 10mm a lot then it'd be better to get the 100mm filters.

Flickr

Cokins slim holder is IMO a POS though, for some reason its not like the 3 holder and falls off all the time (well mine did, taking my reverse grad with it) not sure about the 3rd party knockoff ones.

Really? Never had a problem with my slim holder. Maybe you just got a dud.

PS Got mine from here: http://2filter.com/cokin/cokinp.html#3931 ("Cokin P Wide Angle Holder")

Flickr