Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shasing the light,Queenstown and Glenorchy

Default shasing the light,Queenstown and Glenorchy

a carry on form my other posts.
    early arvo on the second day we made Arrowtown the little sister town fro Queenstown.
    Hemmed in on all sides by fantastic scenery Queenstown and its surrounds are a joy to shoot.
    above Arrowtown

we booked into a backpackers and raced up the hill behind Arrowtown for the evening.
    With a hazy sky, visibility wasn't the best but hey, we make the most of what we get.
    Being Saturday night we hit one of the many pubs for a meal, a game of pool and met some of the friendly locals.
    Day three duly arrived on time and we bid farewell to the pretty girl managing the backpackers and up the road we did go.
    Lake Moke was our first point of great interest, ice covered the road and going steeply downhill towards the basin we were slipping and sliding from side to side, we make our way into the valley floor. Alas the cloud obscured any great vistas but we being of sharp eye saw a few possibilities to shoot a smaller lake further back up the valley we had passed on the way in, so we sped back chasing the light and really enjoyed ourselves on the smaller lake of unknown name.
    the smaller lake was more interesting

Stephen

The sun was much kinder to us now and after our little lake shoot we zoomed back to the main road and headed towards Glenorchy and Paradise Valley, our stop over for the next few days.
    Glenorchy has it all in spades, situated at the southern end of Lake Wakatipu, surrounded by high snow capped mountains, snap frozen in the middle of winter with crystal clear skies we sat at the wharf for an hour just getting our heads around it all and adjusting to the fact that we didn't have to hit the road for a few days but we could just take our time and ......well just take our time. Booked in to the backpackers behind the pub had our accommodation settled and off up to Paradise valley we went stopping almost insanely too often to look at this and that. This place would have to be the horse capital of New Zealand, everywhere you looked horses filled the paddocks instead of sheep.
    Horses aplenty

Next morning I stayed at the Warf while Stephen went up paradise chasing the sunrise.
    It was freezing and the sun was just about to rise as I walked through the small town to the jetty at the end of the road.
    the main st of Glenorchy before the sunrise

Making my way down the main street I came across a couple of lovely ladies, one of whom owns the eatery behind her in the photo. Her friend and herself start every day off before light with a coffee outside her cafe

the jetty on sunrise

from the other side

and up the middle.

I went for a wee look see in the adjacent wetland area to shoot some bird life ,alas most of the water surface was frozen and the birds were on the open water in the middle out of range.
    I did find some swans up close and to my amazement they had ice on their backs.
    icy swans

I love seats and shoot them whenever I come across an interesting one,one day Im gona make a book on seats.
    this is one that will go in the book

I also keep my eye out for old wreaks and such
    here is a such

more of the wetland.

overlooking the wetlands later in the day

that night we stayed close to the jetty and shot sunset.
    we met a few budding photographers who were well pleased with their efforts
    this man is more than pleased with his snap

next morning we hung around for sunset and we were off outa there for new grounds.
    heres a few from the finale morning.

and some bird shots from that morning.

heading for the Lindis pass tomorrows another day.

Some wonderful shots there!

Flickr

weka2000 Guest

Chris we need to move South

Can I come too?

These are terrific, some amazing shot you have here.

weka2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by North of Auckland View Post
    Can I come too?

These are terrific, some amazing shot you have here.
    Dont you have a job yet

You can drive

Be a nice job been paid to take photos of landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by weka2000 View Post
    Dont you have a job yet

You can drive

No, yes and yes

weka2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by North of Auckland View Post
    No, yes and yes
    I have 2 things stopping me. 1 is aged 9 the other 11

Quote Originally Posted by weka2000 View Post
    heres the catch,you get piad helping others take photos of landscapes.

hey cheers guys for the kind comments.
    I have 22,000 images on my comp,its a good life

Glenorchy is surely the earth heaven of New Zealand! Luckily I'm going to the south in the following months ( for working as usual..)

Tis I, the good looking part of the team

Glenorchy is alright but I know of better spots

Weka, you must tell me about this job you speak of. Both Tony and myself have guided hunters and I'll give you the tip: You don't get your own gun out when guiding Although Tony........

Mate

They're awesome shots. It's great to see some different perspectives on things. I live in Arrowtown, work in Queenstown, and seeing the scenery every day, it's so easy to just get used to it, and not bother taking a camera out.

You've just encouraged me to change that!

BTW, the smaller frozen lake is Lake Kirkpatrick, beautiful spot, especially first thing in the morning before it gets windy. There's some mint trout in there too, I got busted off by what looked to be a solid 8 pounder in there back in May

If you're looking for other lakes, take a walk up to Lake Dispute, that's a stunner, and Diamond Lake near Paradise is gorgeous.

Lake Hayes, even though it's on the main road, gets some amazing reflections going on of Coronet Peak too. It's where they film those mainland cheese adverts with the old fellas.

weka2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    Weka, you must tell me about this job you speak of. ..
    im still working out the finer details

Quote Originally Posted by mrfinster View Post
    They're awesome shots. It's great to see some different perspectives on things. I live in Arrowtown, work in Queenstown, and seeing the scenery every day, it's so easy to just get used to it, and not bother taking a camera out.
    That's just crazy! You should have hundreds of amazing shots living where you are.

In fact, I think this is a photographic crime. Anyone got suggestions for a suitable punishment?

Flickr

Forced to organise a wakatipu meet up!

I'm in Dunedin, just lost access to a regular place to spend weekends, in Arrowtown.

I can do you a sweet deal on rooms at the pub in Arrowtown if you want

Me and RJD had a Queenstown meet up a couple of weeks ago, although most of it was conducted in the pub. He still managed to get a few good shots in there though!

I admit to have taken guns off clients and shot their deer for them ,but Im convinced Im better looking than him

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgin View Post
    That's just crazy! You should have hundreds of amazing shots living where you are.
    It's amazing how it all becomes so ordinary when it becomes the daily commute.

The weather has been medieval for the last few weeks, but with fishing season on the way, I'll be getting out and about and off the beaten track a bit.

I want to canoe down the Rees River this year, and I'll be taking my new super gay 4wd into the Nevis Valley via the Harris Mountain road in a few weeks, so should be some great shots coming out of that.

It's amazing how it all becomes so ordinary when it becomes the daily commute.
    But does your commute coincide with the golden hours? If so, I don't know how you can not have your camera with you every day! If not, then that's probably why it looks ordinary!

You must have a few sunrise/sunset shots of the area - upload some to here so we can see!

Flickr

Smile

Mate

You've just encouraged me to change that!

BTW, the smaller frozen lake is Lake Kirkpatrick, beautiful spot, especially first thing in the morning before it gets windy. There's some mint trout in there too, I got busted off by what looked to be a solid 8 pounder in there back in May

If you're looking for other lakes, take a walk up to Lake Dispute, that's a stunner, and Diamond Lake near Paradise is gorgeous.

Lake Hayes, even though it's on the main road, gets some amazing reflections going on of Coronet Peak too. It's where they film those mainland cheese adverts with the old fellas.
    cheers for the heads up
    lake hayes is gona turn it on for me one day,hasnt yet been there about 10 times without any luck.
    daimond lake is cool .
    dont know about this mud fish catchin stuff though

But does your commute coincide with the golden hours? If so, I don't know how you can not have your camera with you every day! If not, then that's probably why it looks ordinary!

You must have a few sunrise/sunset shots of the area - upload some to here so we can see!

I'll do it when I got home. I've got a few good ones, it's just easy to keep taking the same shots after a few months!

When I moved here, I used to sit there staring out the window with my jaw on the ground, blown away by the view, but it does wear off after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by boneywhitefoot View Post
    dont know about this mud fish catchin stuff though
    It's a gentleman's fish, stalked and caught using right way

still a bloody mud fish at the end of the day though
    ever stay up the ahuriri in the hut???
    do you know a shaun maloney???

Wow, those are some great shots, Note to self....got to move out of Auckland.....
    “If you find yourself saying I’ll fix it in Photoshop, stop and slap yourself in the face, because you’re being lazy”

---------------
    http://www.ctphotography.co.nz
    Camera's include Nikon D7000 plus a 1897 Lancaster Instantograph which still works and a Leica miniature (Minox) digital camera.

weka2000 Guest

In fact, I think this is a photographic crime. Anyone got suggestions for a suitable punishment?
    I spent 25 years living in The Bay of Plenty. I see more now when I go back with a camera than I ever did when I lived there.
    We take for granted our own back door.

where abouts in bop???