Thread: Light Meters

Default Light Meters

Well I had a little play around in my Photography Space (I wont call it a Studio, it is miles off that) and also have recenty been doing a little bit of you tube snooping.

What is the brains trust opinions on using Light meters with indoor ambient and flash shots?
    I Just Have Cameras and Stuff
    I don't have an Artistic Eye - I have a Technical Bent & a love of Gadgets
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

Are you talking like in events and stuff?
    Canon 6D Gripped | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L ii | Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM | Gitzo Basalt Explorer 3 | Canon Speedlite 600EX & 430EX | Lightroom 5 |

Once you learn (and understand) how to use a light meter, your photography will improve.
    FWIW, I always use a light meter for studio work.

Light meter isn't essential for non flash in the studio, with live view all will be well, for flash in the studio it's almost mandatory, allows you to balance your lights accurately.

Okay my research and study seems to indicate that there is value in using a light meter in Studio work so now any recommendations.

Sekonic seems to be the leading brand and I see the 308 is not an outrageous price
    Give an Artist a box of different sized colour blocks and he will create an art work; give me the same box and I will sort it by colour and then size :)

I have a 308, it's not so expensive that I would cry if I broke i (although I probably would still cry as I see him like my friend .....)

I think based on Paul's recommendation (having 1himself) I will look for a 308.
    anyone got one there selling?

It will be interesting to compare it against the toy apps on iPhone for ambient measurements

Have a 308 as well for studio work, one of the best on the market and very reliable results! You should be able to get a new one for about $300

Dam supply and demand does conspire to empty my wallet

No 308's on offer but I can get a new One from B&H for NZ$280 plus shipping

Can get a 358 for $479 local new, but there's a big diff in the price.

Now I usually like to buy cheap to experiment and see if it goes in a direction I like but this time I think i might have to bite the bullet and buy well first time unless someone can suggest an alternative

Canon > 5DIII | 17-40 L | 35 L | 24-105 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L | 100 L | 400 f/2.8 IS II L | 600 EX-RT | 1.4x TC III | 2x TC III

Thanks for that, there site must not be very SEO as it didnt come up in a google search
    Last edited by Arthur; 09-02-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

slightly cheaper, but a much better shop (IMHO)
    http://www.progear.co.nz/product/145...8S%20Flashmate

Another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sekonic-...item19d4478ebd

From Hong Kong - loads of feedback (over 70000!) for the seller, 98.7% of it +ve. Free international shipping. Works out at about $214 NZD or so I think...
    Check out my Flickr account through Fluidr

Well got a Sekonic L-308B second hand at $170, very happy with that. Now to learn to use it
    Name:  IMG_3729.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  479.3 KB

Ah, I see you have the 308B, I was just about to say yours doesn't look like mine (308S)

Those videos that I linked to are really good for learning how to use it.

Oh and the shadow cast from your key light tells me you are too close to your background and the key light isn't angled correctly (if you were the subject, which you are in this particular shot)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Oh and the shadow cast from your key light tells me you are too close to your background and the key light isn't angled correctly (if you were the subject, which you are in this particular shot)
    Correct Correct and Again Correct.
    My space size is a big limitation and this shot was just a start, to see how the meter works and get a feel for light positions.