Thread: Selling "extra" photos of an event

Default Selling "extra" photos of an event

Hey guys.. I have heaps of bands always messaging me about getting photos of an event I have covered.

Question:

If I was hired by the venue to cover an event with 5 bands am I allowed to sell the photos I haven't given the venue? Don't want to get into trouble but the bands are willing to buy them, but not sure if I am breaking any rules by doing this.

Help sooner than later is appreciated.. have 4 messages in the inbox

I would guess unless it's specifacally mentioned as not allowed you can do as you please. If the venue gets a mention it's a win for them anyway.

As I see it, and this is NOT based on a solid legal footing; You would be the legal copyright owner of all of the photos you took at the event. You were commissioned by the event venue to supply photos of the event to them, but retain copyright (so I would assume that includes the right to sell copies of these photos), unless you signed a contract, or agreed to terms, that specifically detailed all photography from the event would belong to the venue.

However, I would recommend you contact the venue and tell them that you would like their permission to sell some pictures taken at the event to a few featured bands...This will keep everything out in the open, keeping you on side with the venue and the bands.

Also, in future, make sure when 'covering' an event, that it is specifically detailed (either verbally or in a contract) as to whether you are shooting for the venue or for yourself with a deal to supply to the venue...these are two different things and you would also charge more for the first as it has a more limited sales potential.
    I have a camera...

My Mother has a facebook page, my Mother in law has a facebook page, my Wife has a facebook page, and both my dogs have a facebook page...

I do not have a facebook page...

Should be no probs. Can't imagine the venue getting upset, especially if it is your legal right (if copyright remains yours as per contract).
    Canon 5DIII | 7D | 16-35mm f2.8L II | 17-40mm f4L | 24mm f1.4L II | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.2L II | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 300mm f2.8L IS II | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II

Your contract includes you keeping copyright?
    Nikon D750, D7100 and stuff
    www.chainsawphotos.co.nz

He wasn't wanting a contract or anything. Paid cash and all verbal. Just wanted some shots for their venue to promote on facebook. I let him know I had a few bands contacting me and that I was keeping him in the loop. I don't expect too much trouble if any... After all I did a huge favour with the price I quoted him as a first off for their venue getting some proper photos done. I haven't delivered the photos yet and was considering a quick contract of AIPA to send to him.. may not be a bad idea.

All good then...

By the way, I wouldn't use a contract now, i'd do this job for them at whatever price you agreed on, and use a contract for any subsequent work...
    I have a camera...

My Mother has a facebook page, my Mother in law has a facebook page, my Wife has a facebook page, and both my dogs have a facebook page...

I do not have a facebook page...

Yeah he is absolutely cool about it.. He's happy with what he gets and happy for me to sell to the bands.

All good, it's nice when people play as adults...