Thread: "Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

Default "Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

Ok here's the deal..
    I'm early 30s, married, one kid, not sure if we're having more (long story) work part time for a housing company which I actually really enjoy, but I've missed so many career opportunities at work (due to our daughter and farm life) and I'm trying to decide what I want to do when I GROW UP!!

Is the market too over-saturated with photographers to pursue this as a career? I love learning, I used to be a high achiever and highly motivated with study, and love learning, I've done 2 x terms of photography night-classes. I just don't want to waste time and money studying to enable me to take this further. I'm currently a "hobby photographer" I do mainly 1st birthday "cake smash" sessions, have done a wedding at late notice and am booked for another, lifestyle sessions, and am chasing the elusive aurora!!

I'm just so jealous of my husband, who farms for his/our living and basically lives the quote in the title of this post.

Opinions anyone?

Hard to say.

With the advent of digital, anyone with a camera and a pc seems to pass themselves off as a pro photographer these days.

I don't do much any more as a lot of the motorsport has been taken over by in house magazine shooters...
    I have a camera...

My Mother has a facebook page, my Mother in law has a facebook page, my Wife has a facebook page, and both my dogs have a facebook page...

I do not have a facebook page...

As a road to a living it's dead, as a hobby it's alive and fabulous.

Certain sectors are over saturated but that doesn't matter if you have the most important factor which is the ability to sell and market yourself.
    No need to waste time studying or getting qualifications, people will hire you based on your past work and whether they like the idea of working with you or not.
    I see a lot of very average work sold/commisioned locally and its because those photographers have good working relationships with their clients and mutual business/social contacts etc.
    All that matters is that you can do something for the client they cant do themselves and that you could sell sand to the arabs if you had too...
    Canon 17-40L, 70-200L, Canon 580EXII, Samyang 35mm, F1.4 Fuji X100S, Fuji XT-1 and 18-135mm, ISKRA Medium format rangefinder

https://www.facebook.com/RaymondPerrettPhotography

http://raymondperrett.com/

I bundled an ability to write, a knowledge of vehicles/racing with my motorsport/car feature photography...that's what got me 'in' with the magazines originally.

Also, knowing the right people in 'Drift' circles when it became fashionable didn't hurt either.
    I have a camera...

My Mother has a facebook page, my Mother in law has a facebook page, my Wife has a facebook page, and both my dogs have a facebook page...

I do not have a facebook page...

Thanks for the replies.. I'm still as unsure and confused as before though!
    If not more so.. also I don't really like the idea of just being "average" if I'm going to do something I want to be great at it. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing properly right?

not necessarily, I'm happy with doing what I'm enjoying, regardless of how good/bad/average it might be deemed.